9 Movies to Watch Over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Thanksgiving break is coming up soon and college students will finally have time to spend with friends and family. A perfect way to take advantage of all the free time you get during Thanksgiving break is to watch movies. This list includes films that have a plot based around Thanksgiving, a Thanksgiving scene, or have nothing to do with Thanksgiving but have certain themes that still work to get you in the fall and Thanksgiving spirit.

Addams Family Values (1993)

Why this movie: In this sequel, the Addams children are sent away to Camp Chippewa where they are considered outcasts from everyone around them. At the camp, they participate in a Thanksgiving play with Wednesday playing Pocahontas. Wednesday calls out the play for being a whitewashed version of history and she leads a uprising causing chaos at the camp.

You’ve Got Mail (1998)

Why this movie: If you are looking for a rom-com to watch during the break but aren’t quite ready to watch the same Hallmark Christmas plot multiple times, most rom-coms starring Meg Ryan have a unique “fall in the city” feeling to them. You’ve Got Mail includes a scene where it is stated that this film takes place around/on Thanksgiving.

Little Women (2019)

Why this movie: There have been plenty adaptions of Louisa May Alcott’s book Little Women. Greta Gerwig’s 2019 adaption is the best to watch during Thanksgiving due to beautiful cinematography and the nostalgic feeling it creates through Gerwig’s use of flashbacks. The story of Little Women is a perfect film to watch with your family, as the plot focuses on the relationships between the March sisters as they grow up.

Knives Out (2019)

Why this movie: Knives Out is another non-Thanksgiving film, but as it was originally released on November 27, 2019 it has the perfect late fall aesthetic and focuses on a unique family. Knives Out characters wear perfect fall colored jackets and sweaters (the most iconic being Chris Evans’ cable knit sweater). The sequel Glass Onion: Knives Out Mystery is also being released soon so this upcoming break is a good to re-watch or watch the original for the first time.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Why this movie: Many people argue whether this movie should be considered a Halloween or Christmas movie; however I believe this is a perfect Thanksgiving movie for those who miss the ‘spooky season’, but are ready to transition into the holiday spirt.

The Humans (2021)

Why this movie: The Humans is a darker film as it is a psychological drama film and includes some of the harder aspects of being with your family during Thanksgiving. The film is about three generations of a family gathering in a run-down apartment in lower Manhattan to celebrate Thanksgiving. As the film progresses, you learn more about the family’s trauma and challenges.

SpiderMan (2002)

Why this movie: If you are looking for an excuse to watch a superhero film during Thanksgiving, try the first film of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films. The Thanksgiving dinner is an important scene in the movie as it the moment where Norman Osborn (aka The Green Goblin) realizes Peter Parkers identify.

Fantastic mr. Fox (2009)

Why this movie: Wes Anderson has a unique aesthetic that is perfect for fall best of his use of color palettes that tend to include more warm colors and his camera angles that create a sense of nostalgia. FANTASTIC MR. FOX focuses on the idea of what you would do for family and includes scenes of animal families having feasts.

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Why this movie: The Royal Tenenbaums, another Wes Anderson film, is about Royal Tenenbaum and his attempts to reconnect with his three adult children who were all once considered child prodigies. While the film focuses on the struggles of the Tenenbaum family, the audience is hoping that the family can reconnect and work through their problems together.

Anikka Stanley

Washington '26

Anikka is a freshman at the University of Washington. She is majoring in Communications and Astronomy. She enjoys Marvel (especially Loki), fashion, and reading.