This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

2019 flew by in a blur, and alongside it were some of the best movies of our generation. There was a huge range of variety, from watching the huge feat of the MCU resolve itself in Avengers: Endgame, to seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood which already feels like a cult classic, or to streaming platforms producing more of their own content such as Marriage Story. The last year was a great time to be a movie fan, but I’m already excited for what lies ahead.

For this list, I’m using statistics from Fandango, based on results from an online survey conducted by their website. It should be noted that this lists the opinion of only 2000 film fans in the month of December, so there may definitely be a recency bias. This is also not representative of the entire movie-going audience, just a slice of that population.

Without further ado, let’s find out what the people are dying to go watch this year!

10. Fast & Furious 9

Starting off our list is a sequel to 2017’s The Fate of the Furious. This car-racing franchise has definitely evolved beyond its street-racing roots and has become one of the most successful film franchises currently in Hollywood. While not much is still known about the upcoming project, a trailer is suspected to hit the internet sooner than later. Fast & Furious 9 (official title not confirmed) is slated to hit theaters May 22, 2020.

9. Soul

The only film on this list that isn’t a remake, adaption, or some sort of sequel is Pixar’s Soul. A wholly original concept, it follows the story of a middle-school music teacher who finally gets his chance to play jazz on stage, only for an accident to occur and his soul becomes separated from his body. From such a prominent company in the animation industry, I am personally beyond excited to watch this film and be emotionally wrecked by the same man that made Inside Out. The film is due to come out on June 19, 2020.

8. In the Heights

Based on the amazing Broadway play, In the Heights is Jon M. Chu’s adaption of the Hispanic-American neighborhood of Washington Heights in New York City. The story follows the residents of the neighborhood over the course of three days, combining Latin rhythms with hip-hop to tell a captivating story about chasing your dreams while clinging to your roots. Hopefully this musical will fare much better than the latest Broadway adaption Cats ever did. In the Heights is set to release June 26, 2020.

7. Birds of Prey

The first superhero release of the new decade, Bird of Prey is looking to break ceilings, smash some windows, and maybe cause a controversy or two. After splitting with the Joker, Harley Quinn joins superheroes Black Canary, Huntress, and Renee Montoya to save a young girl from an evil crime lord, Black Mask, in Gotham City. In a year dominated by female directors, this film looks like it will be another heavy hitter. Birds of Prey will come out on February 7, 2020.

6. A Quiet Place Part II

John Krasinski’s original film A Quiet Place was a major horror hit when it came out in 2017. Now in the sequel, the Abbot family must now face the terrors of the outside world as they fight for survival in silence, except now the creatures that hunt by sound aren’t the only dangers that lurk beyond the farm. Audiences are clearly excited to return to the dark theaters, even when the sound of eating popcorn feels like endangerment. A Quiet Place II comes to theaters March 20, 2020.

5. No Time to Die

In his last outing as James Bond, Daniel Craig returns to rescue a kidnaped scientist, finding himself on the trail of a mysterious villain who’s armed with a new dangerous technology. With No Time to Die, anticipation continues to grow thanks to it being Craig’s swansong, but fans are ready to let him join the ranks of Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, and all the other 007s before him. The movie is currently slated for April 10, 2020.​

4. Mulan

Interesting to note, all four of the most anticipated films in 2020 are directed by women! Continuing the list, with the incredible success of their massive live-action releases, Disney is remaking the 1998 animated classic Mulan. In this version however, it’s set to be a full-scale martial arts epic, with our heroine facing up against a powerful witch within the Hun Army. Although fans are up in arms about some changes, the Mulan remake is looking to be another win for the Mouse. The film will release on March 27, 2020.

3. Eternals

Although the MCU is entering a transition period, audiences are still just as excited about their new films, even with the Infinity Saga now complete. Set with an all-star cast, The Eternals will introduce a new pantheon of heroes and villains. When one of the heroes discovers that he has lost his memory and has been living on Earth, he sets out to “wake up” his fellow Eternals. With this heralding the true phase 4 of the MCU, The Eternals will release on November 6, 2020.

2. Black Widow

Although there are new characters coming in, audiences aren’t quite ready for the old guard to be ushered out just yet. Marvel fans have been clamoring for a stand-alone Black Widow movie for years, and they’re finally getting one. Although not much is still known about the plot, the film is a prequel to the events in Infinity War, and sees our heroine confronting her past and facing up against the dreaded Taskmaster. As we say goodbye to Scarlett Johannsen as Natasha Romanoff one last time, Black Widow will release on May 1, 2020.​

1. Wonder Woman 1984

Finally, in our top spot, the most anticipated movie of 2020 is Patty Jenkin’s Wonder Woman 1984, the sequel to the 2017 smash hit. Fans have been waiting a while for the Amazonia to return to the big screen, and it looks like a fun, nostalgic adventure through the 1980s. The film seems to be filled with warnings about consumerism and greed that dominated that era, and when Diana’s long-lost love shows up out of nowhere, she is forced to come into conflict with two formidable foes. Wonder Woman 1984 will come to theaters on June 5, 2020.​

P.S. Can I just say how awesome it is that many users’ most anticipated film is a female-directed and female-led superhero movie? I know I can’t wait to see this summer blockbuster the moment it releases!

What is your most anticipated movie of 2020?

Check out the original poll from Fandango hereas well as a CinemaBlend’s complete list of all the movies releasing in 2020!

Tara Wilson

Washington '22

Tara is currently a third year at University of Washington that is majoring in Creative Writing and pursuing a job in creative development. She is originally from Southern California, which is probably why she loves Disney and the ocean so much. In her free time, she enjoys reading, baking, and exploring the city.