Modern and Contemporary Albums that Deserve to be Listened to from Beginning to End

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Skip the shuffle and let the music flow—these albums are more like novels in the sense that they create a cohesive sound by listening to the track listings in order. This is not at all meant to be a complete list, but rather a collection of albums and some LPs which tell deeply personal stories through the music and some that are just fantastic to listen to during a long drive. Also note that most of these albums are strictly from this decade, with the exception of two on the list.

Kevin Abstract – American Boyfriend

Frank Ocean – Blonde

Rex Orange County – Bcos U Will Never Be Free

Bon Iver, 22 – A Million

Mac DeMarco – Rock and Roll Night Club

Kanye West – ye

Florence + The Machine – How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

Steve Lacy – Steve Lacy’s Demo

Beck – Sea Change

Lorde – Melodrama

Julian Casablancas – Phrazes For the Young 

Mitski – Be the Cowboy

Mayumi is an undergraduate student at the University of Washington majoring in Political Science and Cinema and Media Studies, minoring in Informatics. She grew up in the Philippines and went to high school in Washington state. She is an advocate for socioeconomic equality, civil rights, and anti-imperialism. She likes sightseeing and listening to music, drinking tea, and over-analyzing movies. Contact her through mayumi.alino@yahoo.com