Meet WiUX: Emerging Leaders of the Tech Field

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

2017-2018 Officers (from left to right) Netty, Emily, Bonnie, Kari, Stefanie, Hannah                                

President – Emily Wong, Junior in Computer Science & Human Centered Design and Engineering

Secretary – Netty Lim, Junior in Interaction Design

Media Officer – Bonnie Tran, Senior in Human Centered Design and Engineering

Sponsorship Officer – Kari Nasu, Junior in Informatics & American Sign Language Minor

Events Officer – Stefanie Choi, Junior in Human Centered Design and Engineering & Entrepreneurship

Public Relations Officer – Hannah Lee, Junior in Psychology & Informatics Minor

How would you describe WiUX?

WiUX is a student-run RSO that strives to connect students at UW to UX resources through community-based events. While WiUX is open to all students, we particularly strive to empower women as leaders in the tech field through our leadership team and our professional guests. Previously we’ve hosted resume and portfolio workshops, and host an annual WiUX Conference in the Spring.

What inspired you all to get involved with WiUX?

Not only does getting involved with WiUX offer great leadership opportunities as students and women in STEM, it also provided us the chance to make connections within the UX community within the UW and the greater Seattle area. Since we host many industry professionals at our events, we are able to cultivate great relationships with those in the field.  

What challenges have you faced as women in user experience or STEM in general?

Some of the challenges that we have faced involve what is called the “imposter syndrome,” where one feels inadequate or not confident in their professional environment compared to their coworkers or peers. Similar thoughts are that since STEM can involve more technical skills, we sometimes feel that we do not have the extensive engineering background to stay competitive in the field.

What are some of the key takeaways you have learned from being part of WiUX?

The biggest takeaway for us is the power of the community, both the UW and greater Seattle community. It is amazing how the community is willing to help: whether it is professionals willing to share their knowledge with our members, our generous sponsors, or even students volunteering to help out, we learned that we are truly part of a larger community.

What advice do you have for women hoping to pursue a major or career in the STEM field?

• Take advantage of opportunities and resources

• You can join a lot of communities to support you

• Don’t be afraid to ask for help

• Don’t let failure define you

• Find ways to achieve your goals without having to be in a specific major

Lastly, how can people get involved with WiUX?

We are currently in the process of planning a two-part panel on the topic of UX internships, expected to take place in mid-November. The first panel will feature students who will share their experiences and the second will feature recruiters who can provide a different perspective to obtaining internships. Please keep an eye out for updates through our Facebook page and group! Please feel free to reach out with any questions at wiux@uw.edu.

Jay is a junior studying design at the University of Washington and is the Social Media Coordinator of the UW Her Campus chapter. When she is not up until 5AM working on design projects, she enjoys playing Japanese rhythm games and grabbing boba with friends. Find her on instagram @soondearjay or check out her online portfolio at https://jayma.myportfolio.com/.