This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Ever since I got myself into a long-distance relationship, I have gotten a little creative with how I show my significant other how I feel about them. When you’re dating someone that is “geographically inconvenient,” it can be hard to actually show them affection. It’s like the everyday ability to give someone a hug, to hold their hand, or just to freaking SEE SOMEONE’S FACE IN PERSON gets taken for granted when you find yourself across the Atlantic ocean from someone. 

Regardless, just because your Valentine is somewhere in a land far far away, whether that be one hour away or 5,000 miles away, that doesn’t mean you can’t show them some love. I have been in an LDR for about a year now, and for reason, dating them despite the distance makes more sense than picking up that frat guy across the street. Go figure?

Long-distance relationships require effort like in any relationship, so here are some fun and thoughtful ways to show your S.O. some extra love just in time for Valentine’s day and like, every day. 

UberEATS food to them (What?)

Okay, here me out. Just in case you didn’t know already, you can UberEATS food to someone in another country. I know. It’s crazy. Last year for Valentine’s day, I tried to see if I could order uber eats for my S.O. when he lived 5,000 miles away, and it turns out that YOU DEFINITELY CAN. Depending on where you live, if they have uber eats in their city, then voila – you can order your S.O. takeout even if you’re not physically there with them. All you have to do is download the app, and get their address. With the touch of a finger, I was able to deliver some local food to my boyfriend in under thirty minutes. Mind-Blowing. Just make sure your boyfriend/girlfriend is going to be home to pick up the food cause ya wouldn’t want to keep the delivery guy waiting. That’s just harsh. 

Send them a care package

If you want to be really thoughtful, sending them a care package is a way to go! Of course, it requires more planning ahead of time due to shipping, so just keep that in mind. Feel free to get creative with what you send them! You can even add a handwritten note or spray your perfume on there to remind your S.O. that there’s, you know, a legit person on the other end of the FaceTime. If you’re going to send something expensive (which I don’t recommend you do), I would recommend paying a little extra for tracking and insurance. In the past, I would just get something that I already know they were gonna buy anyway, so if you’re more on a time crunch, you can always purchase something straight from the internet and then have the item shipped to their place. 

Deliver flowers! 

This one goes without saying. Although, if you want to be more ecological, then you should check out some local florists in your S.O.’s city instead of a major online flower delivery service. Some of them allow you to personalize your bouquet, or even leave a little note, which I think is cool. Everyone loves flowers. Right? If not, I’m sure you could find some succulent delivery service or something. That would also be better for the environment, would it not?

Call them 

Ok, so maybe this one is not very creative, but the easiest, yet most taken-for-granted, thing that you can do is to call your significant other. It may be obvious to us, but we have FACETIME now. Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that some nerds have invented such a thing? As a millennial, I cannot fully grasp what it would be like if I lived in a time pre-skype. Sure, it isn’t the same as being in the same room with someone, but something about hearing your S.O.’s voice while seeing their face can make everything feel okay. So go ahead and call them. Just don’t call them during a work meeting or something because that would be not-so-romantic. Do people even do that anymore? Is calling dead? Am I an old person for preferring calls over text??

LDR dating is fun. It’s all about getting creative in how you two communicate and express your feelings towards one another. Save the hugs and the kisses until you shall see each other again, but there are so many other ways that you can show someone how much you care about them. Hope this helps!

Alyssa is a junior at the University of Washington majoring in Communications/French. Besides writing Her Campus articles, she enjoys traveling, swimming, playing music, and contemplating where to go on her next trip. Check out my website: alyssatran.com