This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Alone during the school break? Here are some winter-themed activities you can do by yourself or with a friend!

Aries (Ram): March 21–April 19

You’ve got a big heart, Aries. How about you show some love to yourself? After holiday shopping for your loved ones, treat yourself to something nice too. Or, just meander through the downtown area and window shop. 

Taurus (Bull): April 20–May 20

Taurus, it’s time to bake. The cookies, the cakes, the pies, they’re all yours to create. Even a simple boxed cake mix and store-bought frosting can do wonders to lift your spirits!

Gemini (Twins): May 21–June 21

Does winter bore you, Gemini? Is everything just so dull? Try visiting an art museum. Students with ID can visit the Seattle Art Museum for $20. But for an even better deal – tickets are free on the first Thursday of every month. You can also get free admission if you have a Seattle Public Library or King County Library card with the Museum Pass Program. 

Cancer (Crab): June 22–July 22

Cancer, my sweet, sensitive crustacean. The winter months can go either way for you. Some Cancers are bursting with romanticism and wonder about the changing weather, while others are wishing for spring. For every Cancer, participating in photography can help with every mood. Spend some time outside and explore the campus, with all its beautiful architecture and landscaping. 

Leo (Lion): July 23–August 22

Tis the season for giving back, Leo. This winter, consider volunteering at a place you never would. Whether that be at a soup kitchen, an animal shelter, or at the community center- step out of your comfort zone. 

Virgo (Virgin): August 23–September 22

Turn off your racing mind Virgo, and turn on a cozy movie. Gather all your blankets, pillows, and snacks, and let yourself relax. 

Libra (Balance): September 23–October 23

Libra, you need something to keep you thinking. Visit your public library and hit the books! Fantasy, action, non-fiction- it doesn’t matter. Just start reading! From UW’s Seattle campus, the 542 bus can take you to Redmond’s Public Library. To get to the Seattle Public Library, simply take the 1 line. And if you can’t be bothered to travel, Libby is a great app to start reading instantly. 

Scorpio (Scorpion): October 24–November 21

Scorpio, you and nature are one and the same- it speaks to you. For this reason, you should explore the greater Seattle area and take a hike. Get out of the city and explore the great outdoors. Even heading to UW’s satellite campus in Bothell will yield fantastic wetlands and creeks. 

Sagittarius (Archer): November 22–December 21

Your soul needs healing, Sagittarius, especially during winter. My recommendation is to make some soup and take time off. It doesn’t have to be fancy- you could even scoop some out of a can and heat it up in the microwave. It’s the thought that counts. 

Capricorn (Goat): December 22–January 19

Capricorn, make yourself into a soup, aka- take a bath. Gather up all the fancy soaps and salts and whatever else makes your heart sing and just relax. If you don’t have a bathtub, taking a hot shower will also do the trick. 

Aquarius (Water Bearer): January 20–February 18

This winter, Aquarius, indulge yourself in a video game. Anything works- from the free solitaire that comes with your computer, to a nostalgic game on the 3DS, to a trending PS5 game. 

Pisces (Fish): February 19–March 20

Well, Pisces, you are the fish. So, it is only fitting that you should visit an aquarium this winter. While the Seattle Aquarium has no discounts for students, you can get free admission if you have a Seattle Public Library or King County Library card with the Museum Pass Program. 

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.