Lauv’s New Short Film for “Sims” Just Dropped and It Is Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

“Do you ever feel like there are different versions of yourself inside your head?” – Lauv

Lauv’s New [Official Short Film]/Music Video for his new song “Sims” just dropped and it is EVERYTHING. You’ve probably heard of his hits such as “I Like Me Better” and “Paris in the Rain” from his collection of songs called “I Met You When Was 18 (Playlist)” released in 2018. It’s a sick compilation album for all hopeless romantics, and for those who deny being hopeless romantics out there.  

Lauv took it to Instagram to announce his release date for his debut album, “~how I’m feeling~” that’s set to release on March 6th of 2020, and I am SO. EXCITED. He has already released songs that include “Sims”, as well as “fuck, I’m lonely” (with Anne-Marie), “Feelings” (my personal fave), “Sad Forever”, and “Drugs & The Internet”. Take a listen if you haven’t already and prepare to have these tunes playing on repeat. You’re welcome.

Lauv’s new music video for his single “Sims” encourages his fans to embrace all of their “colors.” His album cover is shown with him in metallic colorful trousers, and “mini Lauvs” dressed in different colors, all representing a different personality. 

In his video, he describes how these different colors and personalities are kinda like “your own personal boy band,” all unique in their own way. 

“A purple one that’s maybe pessimistic and introverted, ”

“A blue one that’s the hopeless romantic” 

“The green one that’s goofy, out there, wild”

“The yellow one that’s free-spirited and uplifting”

“…and maybe an orange one that’s the fuckboy, always sliding into the DMs”

“And the red one that’s a bit spicy, hot-tempered”

All of these “colors” control Lauv in the video, making him do certain things. For instance, the orange, “fuck boy” Lauv ruins his chance at a girl with his narcissistic moves, and it becomes up to Lauv himself to decide whether or not these colors really control him. The video also gives his fans an insight to a more vulnerable and side of the artist, exposing his insecurities, and showing us that it’s okay to be in our feelings. 

Overall, his music doesn’t fail to be relatable, fun, sometimes sad, and all the other feelings. Anyone else getting Inside Out vibes?

Alyssa is a junior at the University of Washington majoring in Communications/French. Besides writing Her Campus articles, she enjoys traveling, swimming, playing music, and contemplating where to go on her next trip. Check out my website: alyssatran.com