This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

(It is important to note that someone who is now in a very happy relationship writes all of this, so it is possible that the author has rose-colored glasses on and should be ignored at all costs.)

I am a woman who has had her fair share of anti-Valentine’s Day feelings, believe me. My past experiences with the holiday have been full of some Hollywood-worthy heartbreaks, and seeing all the happy couples be mushy gush made me feel truly ill. However, regardless of my personal love-life status, I have always loved celebrating Valentine’s Day. What really matters to me about the holiday is love itself, not what type of love you’re celebrating. A romantic date with a partner is a classic and wonderful Valentine’s tradition, but it isn’t the only way to take part in such a beautiful holiday. 

I’m sure most Valentine’s haters are tired of others trying to hype up knock-offs like Galentine’s or Palentine’s, but the truth of it is, they’re all the same thing! Val, Pal, Gal, whatever it is, they are all just a commodified excuse to put on over-the-top displays of admiration for people you love. Every year I make as many handmade cards as I can (last year’s were frog puns with romance movie quotes, for any wondering) and a triple batch of cookies (Valentine M&M’s) to hand out to all my friends. And I have just as much fun and love in my heart doing this as I do when there’s a romantic partner involved. Seeing a friend’s face light up because I did something special to show them I love them is one of the most fulfilling feelings in the world, and that exchange of love and affection is what the holiday is about. 

Even if you aren’t a baker or cardmaker, you can still get into the spirit of things. Feeling grumpy and lonely surrounded by happy couples? Get your friends or family together to watch a movie! I find that a good old-fashioned slasher is the best cure for V-day-induced envy. You can get a nice dinner, or do a gift exchange. Call your parents; or siblings; or grandparents; or cousins; or anyone you love and tell them that. Everything that you could do to celebrate with a partner, can be done with some friends or family. If you have love to give, you are one step away from having a happy Valentine’s Day. Your love deserves to be commemorated for the love holiday, no matter what form it comes in. 

I know that an article on the internet from a strange girl blabbing on about the importance of a silly holiday probably won’t sway any hardcore cynics, but I am trying nonetheless. As someone who has been in that headspace, I truly believe that the love I share with my friends and family is just as crucial to Valentine’s Day as the love I share with my boyfriend. I hope you all have a very happy Valentine’s Day, whatever it looks like for you! 

And if nobody has asked you yet, will you be my Valentine?

Montanna Lovins

Washington '27

Montanna Lovins is a Freshman at UW where she is studying English and Creative Writing. Her writing covers mainly entertainment media, primarily focusing on film and literature. When she isn’t writing, Montanna is commonly found in local theaters or watching movies on her laptop in the dorm. She also enjoys reading classic literature, playing guitar, baking, and hiking to hunt for frogs.