This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Let’s admit it – David Ayer’s 2016 superhero film Suicide Squad was a strangely edited and predictable film that somehow became one of only 10 superhero films to win an Oscar (it won for Best Makeup and Hairstyling). To give a short summary, Suicide Squad exists in the DC Extended Universe – think Justice League and Wonder Woman – and tells the story of a team of super villains who are assembled to stop Cara Delevingne as the demonic Enchantress from destroying a subway station – and the world. We were (re)introduced to iconic characters such as Harley Quinn (now starring in her own film Birds of Prey), Slipknot (he can climb anything), Katana (she’s got my back), and the Joker. The movie was a box-office success, earning over $746 million worldwide, but was considered by most critics to be a failure across most criteria (plot, characterization, editing, directing). So, what’s up with the sequel?

First, some context

The sequel to Suicide Squad will be directed by James Gunn. If that name sounds familiar, it’s probably because of the MCU movie Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), which Gunn co-wrote and directed. Unlike Suicide Squad, the film was praised for its unique style, soundtrack (please go watch the movie and then listen to Awesome Mix Vol. 1), and visual elements. In fact, 2016’s Suicide Squad was most likely aiming for a similar vibe – incorporating real songs into scenes and making unconventional stylistic choices – but instead showed that decent writing and editing are also important elements of a good movie (sorry, I’m being mean again).

Gunn produced an arguably funnier and more emotional follow-up to Guardians in 2017 with Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, and had been announced to write and direct the third installment as well. However, in July 2018, Marvel Studios dismissed Gunn after controversial tweets from the filmmaker resurfaced. In the wake of his dismissal, Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Entertainment began showing interest in recruiting Gunn to work on a project. Eventually, Gunn was hired in October to write and potentially direct the sequel to Suicide Squad.

Gunn has undoubtedly proven that he can write and direct comic book movies about dysfunctional faux families with a perfect balance of cheek, visual splendor, and heart. Guardians is one of my favorite Marvel movies to date, so I have no hesitation running to the theater in 2021 to watch James Gunn’s entry into the DC Extended Universe.

What we can expect

Let’s jump forward in time. In September 2019, Gunn confirmed casting rumors by tweeting a full list of actors, jokingly telling fans: “don’t get too attached”. The cast includes returning faces such as Jai Courtney (Captain Boomerang), Joel Kinnaman (Rick Flag), Viola Davis (Amanda Waller), and of course, Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn). Jared Leto’s Joker will not be making a reappearance; after Joaquin Phoenix’s performance in last year’s Joker, I think we would all like to pretend that Suicide Squad’s Joker never existed.

Onto the new cast members – you can look forward to seeing John Cena, Nathan Fillion, Sean Gunn, Pete Davidson, Taika Waititi, Peter Capaldi, Idris Elba, and Michael Rooker on your screen next year. It’s unknown if these new actors will be playing super villains, actual villains, “good” guys, civilians, or cameos. These are confusing times.

Strangely similar to its predecessor, the new film is titled The Suicide Squad. From reports, it seems like the film will be a standalone sequel, meaning Gunn will write/direct a completely new take on the property (however, still with returning cast members).

Fast forward once again to March 2020. Gunn marked the end of filming with an emotional post on Instagram:

“And that’s a wrap on #TheSuicideSquad. My father died two weeks before we started filming and my dog died two weeks before the end. It was a hard, hard time in my life and yet the most fulfilling time I’ve ever had making a movie. The professionalism, talent, compassion and kindness of this cast and crew inspired me every day. Thanks to everyone involved in this film, in every stage of development, in every department – I am grateful from the bottom of my heart for you all. You are why I make movies.”

Gunn clearly put his heart and soul into making the best movie he possibly could during a difficult period in his life. Hopefully, if audience members like me are willing to give the franchise another chance, The Suicide Squad will commemorate Gunn’s filmmaking redemption, and be imbued with antihero antics, comedy, and tons of fun. The Suicide Squad is set to be released on August 6th, 2021.

Kerri Lee

Washington '22

Kerri is a senior studying Computer Science. When not writing for Her Campus, she can either be found watching TV or asleep (there's no in-between).