This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Disclaimer: I took the 23X series. These tips are based on my personal experience. 

1. Do the basics

You probably heard this a million times, but it’s still important to say. You gotta (and I mean gotta) attend lectures and office hours. If you can’t make it to the lecture, watch the recording. If you can’t make the office hours with the TA or professor, send an email and request an appointment. Even if you don’t know what to ask, still go! You can listen to the explanations for other people’s questions. There are literally no downsides. 

On that note, watch any supplemental videos the professor recommends or posts on Canvas. Just trust me on this one.

1. Draw it out

A grad student recommended this to me, and I can’t thank them enough. Get a whiteboard and start drawing and redrawing the mechanisms. Be sure to capture every possible scenario. For example, what if you use different reagents? Different reactants? How about if the temperature or pH changes? Put notes in the margins. Use different colors. When you’re done, take a photo of your work, erase the board, and repeat for another mechanism. Not only will this help you learn, but it will also improve your muscle memory. When the same mechanism pops up on the exam, you’ll be able to draw it with your eyes closed!

1. Don’t listen to the chatter

It’s finally the day of the exam, and your group chats are blowing up with last-minute questions and explanations. Unfortunately, some group chats can do more harm than good, and confuse you with misinformation. If anything, their nervous energy will rub off on you. Just mute it and focus on your study guide, notes, or flashcards for some last-minute learning. 

1. If possible, sign up for the corresponding lab section

Seeing really is believing! I highly recommend taking the lab courses. For CHEM 238 and 239, the labs are CHEM 241 and 242, respectively. Yes, your workload will increase, but so will your understanding of organic chemistry topics! Also, it’s just cool to see reactions in action.

1. Understand before you memorize

Yes, you gotta memorize some stuff, but understanding really is key. Remember, you want to learn the material, not just recite it. Organic chemistry also builds on itself, so you wanna make sure your foundation is strong. Fix the cracks in your knowledge before it’s too late!

1. PRACTICE TESTS

Your best friend. Take them. Retake them. If you’re lucky, a similar question will be on your exam (free points!). Take one before you start studying, one after, and see how you improve. 

1. Some resources that helped me

For easy-to-understand YouTube videos, mnemonics, and free comprehensive charts, I highly recommend Leah4Sci. A molecular model kit is also great to have. Professor Dave Explains on YouTube is a fantastic resource for bite-size and quick information. At the end of the day, however, nothing will replace your TA or professor’s knowledge. 

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.