How to Really Make a Difference During Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Every month is Black History Month. Although February is federally recognized as Black History Month–and this is a time to celebrate Black excellence, amplify Black voices, and reflect on continuous racial injustices–Black communities should be celebrated every single day. Whether you make a point to support more Black-owned businesses, learn about historical Black figures, raise awareness about on-going social injustice/share with others what they can do to help, amplify Black voices, or volunteer in underrepresented communities, you are making a difference. Mentioned below are several ways in which you can support Black communities both this month and every day.

1 – share posts from Black content creators

Across industries, Black employees and content creators have spoken out about tokenization, racist remarks, and unequal pay. In 2020, many companies began to take accountability for a lack of diversity in their branding. Although this is a step in the right direction, there is still a very long way to go to achieve accurate representation of people from all backgrounds. By sharing a Black content creator’s post, you are sending the message “I see you, I hear you, and I stand with you.”

person holding protest sign
Photo by Zoe VandeWater from Unsplash

2 – avoid escalating Black trauma

It’s no secret that Black Americans have a much greater chance of experiencing violence than their white counterparts and continuously experience racial and social injustices. That being said, it is unnecessary and harmful to share media that depicts violence toward Black Americans. Sharing this content is harmful and serves no purpose other than inherent shock value, and is the definition of trauma porn. Allow Black victims the same dignity in death that white people are granted. Whether people think they are spreading awareness or not, sharing pictures and videos of Black trauma is further desensitizing the public to Black pain.

3 – use your platform to educate yourself and others

Although you may be met with opposition while speaking out for what is right, if you are a non-Black individual and consider yourself an ally, it is your responsibility to educate people around you. Whether that entails having difficult conversations with family members, contacting your local officials, addressing racism in your home/school/workplace, voting during elections, or refusing to purchase products and/or services that don’t make an active effort to ensure equality for their customers and employees. You can also take the time to read books and watch films by Black authors and filmmakers, respectively. Regardless of how you choose to educate yourself and share with those around you, you will be making progress to a more equitable future. Use your privilege to take action!

Black Lives Matter sign with man walking in front of it
Clay Banks

4 – support Black-owned businesses

A large part of upending policies that impede Black businesses and individuals is to put your dollar towards a cause that you believe in (or “putting your money where your mouth is”). Supporting black businesses supports black communities, and it is important to invest in them, especially since they are not usually granted the same opportunities as white communities.

All of the following brands are both Black-owned and are recognized for their sustainable practices:  

Clothing Brands  

• Sancho’s ~ creates ethically made clothes from sustainably sourced materials. They can also be found on Instagram @wowsancho
  • The Gracemade ~ utilizes locally sourced and deadstock fabrics, packages items with recycled materials, and produces on a smaller scale to minimize waste
  • Cee Cee’s Closet NYC ~ employs independent tailors in Nigeria and upcycles fabric scraps/unused textiles for smaller items of clothing
  • Bôhten Eyeglasses ~ originally inspired by stunning landscapes in Ghana, this brand creates glasses and sunglasses from sustainably sourced materials in Africa. They can also be found on Instagram @bohten
  • Two Days Off ~ uses biodegradable natural fiber textiles and ships with plastic-free packaging
  • Terrance Williams Designs ~ creates clothing items with low-water use cotton, ethically sourced fabrics with zero animal byproducts, and 100% recycled packaging
  • CLTN17 ~ designs the best of both fashionable and sustainable clothing, with use of fabric scraps and soon-to-be biodegradable packaging

Health & Beauty Brands

• The Honey Pot Company ~ creates plant-based/herb-based feminine hygiene products. “Menstrual care brought to life by Black humans with vaginas.” They can also be found on Instagram @thehoneypotco

5 – donate time and/or money to Black organizations

Simply giving a call to your state’s legislation, texting justice lines, or taking a minute to sign a meaningful petition can make a great impact. If you have the time to volunteer, consider reaching out to medical clinics in underserved communities, NAACP, youth centres, and more. Additionaly, if you have the means to donate, there are countless organizations to put your money towards, such as Victim Funds, Bail Funds, Black LGBTQ+ Funds, Healthcare Funds, and more.

As NAACP said, “Black history is made every day, and we all should remember that year-round.” Black businesses and individuals should be celebrated today and every day.
Mercy Johnson

Washington '23

Mercy is a fourth-year physiology major at the University of Washington who hopes to become a physician someday. She enjoys journalism, ethics, and anthropology courses. In her spare time, she loves to hike, play piano, and read. She is also a devoted coffee connoisseur!