Career

How to Overcome Writer’s Block During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve got three papers coming up in addition to projects and virtual finals during finals week. But…if there’s one thing that’s been different for me this quarter, it’s that I’ve found it more difficult than ever to find the motivation to start writing my papers. I’m not sure if it’s quarantine blues or procrastination, but one thing is for sure: it’s led me down a path of epic writer’s block. Common causes of writer’s block can be fear of doing a bad job, striving for perfectionism, or simply the timing if you’re working on a tight schedule. So, if you’re stuck on what to write or need some motivation to get started, consider these tips to getting your written work finished! 

Just Start Somewhere

While it might seem obvious, this can really help spark new ideas! Without thinking, jot down ideas that first come to mind, whether it be on structure, content, themes, or other ideas. You can brainstorm your ideas in bullet points, shared documents for collaborations, or through vision boards. You can also surf the Internet to gather inspiration from quotes, films, stories, or the news. Also don’t get discouraged if what you write isn’t what you initially intended to write. Sometimes ideas can take papers in a different direction and that’s perfectly okay! Remember, as long as you start somewhere, it doesn’t matter what you write at first!

Get in the Zone

Sometimes the key to getting started lies in getting the zone. First make sure to find a spot where you can write comfortably, such as your bedroom, a quiet spot in the house, or outdoors. Once you’ve located a good spot, try to eliminate as many distractions as you can, such as your phone or Netflix. To enhance a happy writing mindset, you can even make yourself your favorite snack or drink and que up your favorite tunes on Spotify. If you can, I also recommend making a playlist of songs that will help you write and finding a comfy spot to sit in. 

Have Some Relaxation Time

If you’re still facing writer’s block after trying the steps above, you should try taking a break and coming back to writing. Taking time for self-care is extremely important and something that I personally always struggle to make time for. However, the more often we make time to focus on ourselves and open space to reflect, the more likely we are to be clear headed and confident in what we strive to purse.  Going on a jog or run, reading a fun book, spending time with friends, binge watching TV, or baking are all great ways to unwind and recharge!

Callista Ordonez

Washington '22

Callista is a second year student at the University of Washington studying Global Public Health! She is from Southern California and enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with friends, and kayaking on the lake.