How to Make the Most Out of Your Commute to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

When I tell people that I commute to campus, everyone seems to be intrigued by my decision. I often get asked if I hate living at home or if I’m sad that I’m missing out on the “college experience.” Of course, getting to school some days are harder than others, but I’ve managed to make it work while having the normal “college experience” that’s just a little bit different. 

Everyone’s commute varies and I’m thankful that mine isn’t too terrible. Every morning I drive 15 minutes to a local transit center and catch a bus that takes me straight to the University of Washington in 30 minutes. Besides commuting, I work a part-time job and have to deal with a loud family that sometimes keeps me distracted from homework, but I still love them. 

If you’re a local residential student, I seriously suggest for you to consider commuting to school. It saves a lot of money and allows you to experience a fun college life without the stress of a roommate or the feeling of being homesick. As I’ve been commuting for the past few months, I’ve learned many tips and tricks to better commute to school and I hope they can also help other students out there.

Use a Bus Tracking App

I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve missed the bus by confusing it’s arrival time with a different bus or just simply by being late myself. The time the bus comes won’t always be consistent due to traffic and weather issues, so it’s important to have a resource that will keep you up-to-date with your bus schedule. My favorite app to track my ride to school is called Pantograph because it allows me to accurately see how close or far my bus is and it’s also cool to see my bus moving along its route on the virtual map.  

Find A Friend Who Lives on Campus

Many commuters don’t realize how important it is to have a close friend who lives in a dorm or near campus. The sticky situations that arise with public transit can be very unpredictable. Having a friend who’s willing to let you spend the night with them if anything happens is such a stress reliever. Once while it was snowing I had missed the last bus that was leaving campus at night, but luckily I was able to spend the night with one of my best friends in her dorm. 

Schedule Your Classes Close to Each Other  

During my first quarter in college, I made the big mistake of scheduling my classes with lots of time in between them, which left me feeling clueless over how to kill time. Having classes that are scheduled close to each other means you can leave right after classes are done, stay a while longer for different club meetings, or just to hang out with friends. 

Take Advantage of Commuter Resources 

The University of Washington offers tons of support for students who commute. For instance, the HUB has a room dedicated to commuters called the Commuter and Transfer Commons complete with a kitchenette, study area, lockers, and changing rooms. UW describes it as a space to create “a sense of identity and community within the larger University.” UW student ID cards also come with a Husky UPass which allows all students to get unlimited rides on any public transit vehicle for a single price, making commuting a lot more affordable than it already is compared to on campus life. 

Be Prepared for Anything  

This seems like an obvious piece of advice, but it’s crucial to be prepared for anything! The speed of traffic is always uncertain, so I make sure to time my departure from home so that I get to campus at least 45 minutes before class starts. I also prefer to dress in layers so that I’m comfortable throughout the day. Packing lunches and plenty of snacks is important as well because commuters don’t have meal plans. In my backpack I always keep a mini hairbrush, mini deodorant, pepper spray, and a first aid kit with me. 

Commuting to campus is becoming a popular choice instead of living on campus. At UW, around 80% of undergraduate students commute to and from school on a regular basis to save money and accommodate to their busy schedules. I’ve grown to love my commute to school and using simple tips I’ve learned through experience helps make my ride to school as smooth as possible.

Jodhi James

Washington '21

Jodhi is a member of the writing team at Her Campus. She is studying English and has always had a love for reading and writing. In her free time she enjoys exploring new cafes and having fun with friends in the city.