Wellness

How Gratitude Lists Will Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

In the times of midterms and finals, it can really seem like life is hopeless. Maybe you’re feeling isolated from your classmates, left behind, or just plain exhausted. Even so, you find that you have to keep going, somehow, in some way. 

Enter gratitude lists: a simple list of stuff you are grateful for. You don’t need a fancy journal or stationary – just a pen and paper will do. 

Start by writing a few simple things you’re thankful for. These can be general, like friends and family, the planet, a place to sleep, or water. 

Now try to get more specific. Think about certain things that happened that day or that week that brought you a little bit of joy. Maybe it was how the wind felt on your skin or how a stranger smiled at you. Embellish these gratitude points with plenty of details. Focusing on events that happened recently will be of more benefit to you and your happiness. 

Repetition is key. Try to write a gratitude list every day. If writing isn’t your thing, many gratitude apps can help keep you on track. Maybe you jot down a couple of experiences you had that day before you go to bed, or you wake up and write a gratitude list to set a good mood for the rest of the day. 

If specific gratitude points stand out to you, try recording them on post-it notes and sticking them in places where you know you’ll see them. This way, you’ll remember the experience and feel better whenever you read the post-it.

There are many other ways to show gratitude than writing a list. Try writing thank you letters to people you are genuinely thankful for. You don’t even have to send them; just writing the letter will make you feel better. 

But why demonstrate gratitude at all? According to a 2003 study, participants who wrote about good things that happened to them over the week for ten weeks made them feel better and more optimistic. 

As you continue writing or even thinking about gratitude, you will start to notice more things that bring you joy. This is known as the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon, where after you notice something just once, you will start seeing it everywhere. 

It does get better, Huskies. Noticing the little things can be the first step to getting over a hill and becoming a happier version of yourself.

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.