This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

As the days grow darker and the Seattle rain grows heavier, Winter Blues can feel like a real threat to your mental health. If the weather has you feeling down and you don’t know what to do, try these tips out:

1.      Fake It ‘Til You Feel It

Even if you feel like frowning the day away, try smiling just because. A study published in Scientific American showed that just smiling and pretending to be happy can actually make you feel happy. Besides, it can’t hurt.

(Haliburton Forest)

2.      Move a Little

Going to the gym is great and all, but if you don’t feel like doing much, it’s ok to do the bare minimum. Just try taking a quick walk around the block or doing a few push-ups to get the blood flowing. It’s probably a much-needed break from studying, plus it can kick-start happiness in your brain.

(The Ellen DeGeneres Show, NBC)

3.      Get out of Your Space

Sometimes a change in location can make all the difference. If you’re studying for finals it may be easier said than done to just pick up your things and go, but try moving to a library, coffee shop, or even just a study room. New surroundings and new people around you can really help to take your mind off whatever it is that’s got you down.

(University of Washington)

4.      Turn on Some Music

Whatever you do, resist the urge to put on Adele. Play the most happy or up-beat songs you can find and just get lost in them. Accompanying dance party recommended, but not required. If you’re all out of ideas on what to listen to, check this already-made happy playlist.

(Writer’s Domain)

5.      Do Something Creative

A lot of really great art happens when emotions are running high. Try writing a story, drawing a picture, or thinking up something the world has never seen before.  Just remember not to put too much pressure on yourself – the fun is in the process.

(Crafting Connections)

6.      Dress Up a Little

PJs, while comfy, don’t exactly embody productivity. Even if you don’t have any plans for the day and don’t even feel like getting out of bed, try dressing up just a bit. Putting on your favorite pair of jeans or swiping on some bright lip-gloss can make you feel like you’ve got something done and are ready to take on whatever the world has to offer.

(Pinterest)

7.      Learn Something New

It’s hard to focus on being sad when you’re paying so much attention to something new. If you’re looking for some ideas, just check out YouTube. Within minutes you can start learning sign language, finally figure out how to do that really complicated hair style, or even learn how to make some really cool DIY presents for the holidays.

(ASL Global)

8.      Talk to People

There’s nothing like friends and family to make you feel better when you’re feeling low. If you can’t go over and talk to them in person, call up your mom or text your best friend for an instant mood boost.

(MTV)

9.      Treat Yourself

(Parks and Recreation, NBC)

Remember to be extra nice to yourself when you’re feeling down. Throw yourself a spa day, binge watch some Netflix, eat some cookies, do whatever it is that makes you happy and have fun doing it. No regrets necessary.

10.  Ask for help

(DailyShare)

Sometimes sadness is too hard to tackle alone, and that’s completely ok. If you feel like you could use some extra help, seek out a mental health professional, like the great people over at UW’s counseling center.

Good luck on your finals and keep your heads up, Huskies!

San Francisco native studying at the Univerisity of Washington, Seattle. Kathryn's goal is to major in Psychology, but she hopes to take lots of history and english classes along the way. In her free time she loves reading, watching TV, and daydreaming about writing a book someday.