This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.
Spending quality time with family and friends is usually the first thing that comes to mind when people think of the holiday season. Enjoying a good laugh and a hot cocoa with your best friends, trying to build the largest structurally sound ramp to hit with your sled, and catching up with relatives you haven’t visited in months is synonymous with the holiday season. Since most festive activities won’t be possible, this year will be a difficult adjustment for everyone. However, there are still a variety of ways that you can have fun this year and show the important people in your life how much you love them.

Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, have your own traditions, or prefer not to celebrate any of the above, the following activities will provide you and your loved ones joy during the holiday season!

1. make a shoebox for a child in need
person showing brown gift box
Kira auf der Heide/Unsplash

‘Tis the season for giving! Even if you are unable to volunteer your time in person, you can still help others have a great Christmas. Through Samaritan’s Purse, you can “build” a shoebox online with a personalized note! Each shoebox is filled with the necessities (crayons, hand sanitizer, toothbrush, etc.), one big/”wow” item, three small toys, and two accessories. This shoebox full of goodies will help a child in need have a better Christmas. Check them out here!

2. add a poinsettia or Christmas cactus to your plant collection
house plants
Photo by Prudence Earl from Unsplash

Whether or not you choose to celebrate Christmas, poinsettias and Christmas cacti are both beautifully festive and help brighten up the dark holiday season. Both plants are bright and cheery with their colourful red flowers and dark green leaves! They bloom during the winter season annually and only require water once a week (or once every two weeks for the cacti). Both poinsettias and Christmas cacti are mildly toxic to cats and dogs, so be sure they are kept out of reach of any pets. They prefer direct sunlight and 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit heat (room temperature). These are the perfect addition to your indoor plant collection!

3. craft homemade greeting cards for your loved ones
Hanukkah car near Menorah and holiday cookies
Photo by Cottonbro from Pexels

Your relatives will think that homemade cards are the next-best thing to seeing you in person! While any type of holiday card is able to show someone you care about them, are thinking about them, and/or are missing them, homemade cards go the extra mile and provide a heartfelt touch. I’ve been making homemade Christmas cards for my family members ever since I was five-years old, and can testify that they always love my homemade cards and keep them for years. Mailing cards also helps support the USPS!

4. have a pajama party and movie night with your friends via Zoom

home alone new year
Giphy

Although you won’t be able to have the normal hang-out with your friends this year, movie nights over Zoom can be a fun alternative. Ask your friends to grab their favourite snacks in their pajamas and watch a movie together! The Polar Express, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Home Alone, The Santa Claus, Last Christmas, and Frosty the Snowman are [a few] of the best holiday movies. There is a great app called Scener where you are able to host a movie. My personal favourite platform for movie nights has been using Zoom in order to see everyone’s face while simultaneously using Netflix Party to ensure that everyone is watching the movie at the same time and in sync! Pro tip: make sure to mute yourself on Zoom to avoid hearing an echo but stay connected via the chat on Netflix Party. If you and your friends are feeling extra festive, you can even cut paper snowflakes and show them off over Zoom!

5. take your family on a Christmas lights drive
Christmas lights
Photo by Marina Khrapova from Unsplash

One of the best parts of the holiday season is admiring all the lights! Whether you chose to decorate this year or not, driving around to look at other people’s light displays is always a good time. Many houses may also feature a synched music and light display with the lights blinking to the beat of the music which can be played through a local radio station. This is the perfect spatially-distanced activity for the 2020 holiday season!

6. bake and decorate a gingerbread house
Person Baking Cookies on Tray
Pixaby/Pexels

Decorating a gingerbread house is a great time for all and is a wonderful holiday tradition! Baking your own gingerbread house, as opposed to buying a pre-constructed kit, is twice as fun! You can choose what type of candies you prefer to use for decoration, such as gumdrops, candy canes, marshmallows, sprinkles, licorice, chocolate chips, coconut flakes (my personal favourite), and more!

7. take a snow-shoeing day trip in the great outdoors
Photo Of Snow Capped Mountain Through Windshield
Sharafath Athimannil / Pexels

If you’re lucky enough to have a snowy holiday season, snow-shoeing is the perfect way to get outside and enjoy the crisp December air! Whether you choose to go with your significant other or immediate family, you’re sure to have an unforgettable experience. Make sure to dress warmly and pack a snack! Snow shoes can typically be found at REI and most other sporting goods stores!

Mercy Johnson

Washington '23

Mercy is a fourth-year physiology major at the University of Washington who hopes to become a physician someday. She enjoys journalism, ethics, and anthropology courses. In her spare time, she loves to hike, play piano, and read. She is also a devoted coffee connoisseur!