How to Deal With an Ideological Difference Among Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Earlier this week, what started out as a friendly conversation with a friend I will call Jack, ended with tears of frustration after a political disagreement. The next day, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I was so mad at Jack and frustrated. I felt like I had lost respect for him but I still valued our friendship.

I honestly still haven’t decided whether it’s okay to judge a person’s character based on their ideologies and beliefs. I do know that I don’t want to lose Jack as a friend though. I’ve learned that we aren’t going to change each other’s opinions, and it’s not healthy of either of us to try. Sometimes, you must have boundaries with friends and Jack and I have learned ours. When you meet a new friend, approach sensitive and political topics carefully or not at all, and keep an open mind.

Being politically engaged and discussing current issues is incredibly important. Never stop talking about things that matter to you, but keep in mind you won’t always see eye to eye with everyone. Whoever it is you’re talking to, listen, be respectful, and agree to disagree.