This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic has swept across our world in an unprecedented manner. As you are all likely aware, to prevent further spread, most of our country is practicing social distancing and self-isolation in order to keep communities healthy. However, this strategy comes at the expense of many peoples’ jobs. A variety of industries around the world are taking big hits, including those related to the arts. Performers, actors, painters and more are faced with hefty challenges as their concerts, plays, and exhibits are cancelled and postponed.

I have been a part of the dance community since I could toddle. I have performed, competed, choregraphed, and taught dance for the majority of my life and have developed a deep love for the art form that has helped me overcome obstacles and pave an identity for myself. Along the way, I have met colleagues, peers, and mentors in the community that I consider to be family. Unfortunately, over the course of the last 30 days, rapid changes have occurred in the dance community on large and small scales. Companies like Pacific Northwest Ballet have cancelled the rest of their spring season, and small studios throughout Washington have shut down in-person classes. Many talented working artists I know are picking up multiple jobs as food delivery workers and supermarket employees to supplement their income until dance can be open to the public again.

Social distancing is not only causing financial strain for professional dancers, but many people who turn to dance as a positive, creative outlet are left feeling even more despondent during this period of fear and uncertainty.

Nevertheless, a bright side to this disarray is the increase in virtual dance classes that are available for the general public. Many renowned ballet dancers, such as Isabella Boylston, Tiler Peck, Ashley Bouder, and Tamara Rojo are offering free ballet classes to the public via Facebook and Instagram Live. These classes have drawn in thousands of participants of varying skill levels; from professional dancers looking to keep their technique up during their time off, to those who haven’t danced in decades but are eager to pick up a new hobby with their increased free time. Many people would likely be hesitant to take classes from these professionals, due to expenses, the need to travel, or simply being intimidated by having a prima ballerina as an instructor. However, these virtual classes allow people to practice dance comfortably in the privacy of their homes. People around the world are grabbing onto kitchen counters and armchairs as make-shift ballet barres and making the most of the space in their homes to dance together as one big community.

Many famous dancers have used this medium to speak out about organizations that are supporting artists and dancers during these difficult times. Isabella Boylston and Jacob Whitesides, dancers with American Ballet Theatre, have been outspoken about the Dancer’s Emergency Fund, which is a fund for ABT artists in need of financial assistance. Various GoFundMe fundraisers have gone viral, including the NYC Low-Income Artist/Freelancer Relief Fund to support artists in the New York City area.

There are many ways to support local studios and companies in the Seattle area and elsewhere. If you have purchased a ticket for a show that has been cancelled or postponed, don’t ask for a refund and your ticket payment can be used as a donation for the organization. If there’s a local studio that you take class at, see if they sell merch that you can purchase or have open classes to take via Zoom or other platforms. These seemingly small acts can mean a lot to these organizations!

Whether you have zero dance experience or are a seasoned pro, virtual dance classes are a great way to get at home exercise, boost your endorphins levels, and feel like a part of an uplifting community. If you are interested in finding some virtual classes to partake in, check out Dancing Alone Together to find a calendar of dance classes happening in the coming weeks.

Madison Huizinga

Washington '23

Madison Huizinga is currently a sophomore at the University of Washington and plans on studying communication. Madison is local to the Seattle area and has lived here her whole life. When Madison isn't writing, she loves dancing with Intrepidus Dance, traveling, cooking, and spending time with her friends and family.