This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

For all of you fellow April babies out there, I feel your pain: spending your birthday in quarantine might not have been exactly what you were hoping for. If you’re anything like me, dinner and dessert plans, B-day outfits, and outings with friends and family had already been planned out months in advance. Needless to say, I’ve had to alter a few of my original expectations, just like I’m sure many of you have too. Although this may not have been the ideal situation, I’m here to tell you that you’re not alone, and that there are still SO many ways to make your day special. Here’s a look at what I’m doing to celebrate my birthday this month that I recommend you do too!

1) Get glam and dress up!

Even if you might not be able to go anywhere, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t make yourself feel like the queen you are from the inside out! Have a favorite sweater, pair of jeans, or sundress? Put it on! Like doing your makeup, curling your hair, or painting your nails? Do that too! No matter where you are celebrating from, feeling confident in yourself is a great way to make your big day feel just as special as it really is. Plus, if you’ve been sticking to sweats and hoodies for the day-to-day routine of online school, a change of appearance may help you to get rid of your birthday blues. 

2) Order party supplies off of Amazon and decorate your house!

Maybe your plans to throw a big birthday bash, go to the movies or out to eat at a fancy restaurant are no longer plausible, but why not make your home feel as special as possible? Amazon has TONS of party sets and supplies equipped with balloons, banners, plates, and more for relatively cheap prices. Decorate your walls, eat on dishware of your favorite color, and set up a photo wall for you and your family! It will totally lift the mood and make just another day at home seem like a party.

3) Cook your favorite meal and/or dessert!

Not all restaurants are an option right now, which can be disappointing if a meal out was always your birthday highlight. But never fear! There are tons of people that have posted recipes online that show you exactly how to make your favorite restaurant meals. There are delicious recipes ranging from pizza to chick-fil-a style sandwiches to delicious chocolate cakes. Not only is this a great way to eat exactly what you want, but you don’t have to worry about the quality or safety of a delivered order. 

4) Facetime your friends. 

If you’re anything like me, spending your big day without your best pals by your side might just be the hardest part. However, everyone you love is just a phone call away! Arrange a group facetime to catch up, laugh, and celebrate just as you would normally. Don’t let quarantine get you down!

Although quarantine may be turning some of your birthday traditions into a sad reminder, keep in mind that your birthday CAN and WILL be a great day. With these simple tips and tricks, your birthday at home can be turned from blah to blissful! Happy birthday wishes from me to you!

Hi there! My name is Zoé Toupin and I'm from Denver, Colorado. I attend the University of Washington under the Interdisciplinary Honors Program, and I'm studying political science and law, societies, and justice! I love music, movies, politics, traveling, rainy days, and my friends and family!