This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

If there’s anything I’ve learned from my (almost) two years of college, it’s that being homesick never really goes away. I’m turning 21 this year and still, to this day, miss home all the time—and I only live one state away. How am I going to survive being a real adult away from my family? In all honesty, being homesick and missing your family is a normal and a natural part of growing up. Here are some of my favorite tips to ease the pain of missing home!

Make Your Space Feel Like Home

This is by far one of the best tips I have to help battle homesickness. There is nothing worse than coming home to your dorm or apartment and not have it feel like your home. Make your living space comfortable and familiar because having that space feel like home makes you feel less homesick. Pictures and sentimental items are a great way to decorate your room and make it feel like home!

Have Comfort Food on Hand

I know, I know, it’s hard to replicate Mom’s food in your non-existent dorm kitchen. However, having some of your favorite snacks that you have at home on hand can serve the same purpose. For me, Cadbury chocolate or the white chocolate chip macadamia nut Clif Bars is like having a little piece of home with me here at school.

Do the Things You Do at Home

Being able to do activities at school that I normally do at home definitely makes me feel less homesick. Anything from playing instruments, working out, or watching your favorite childhood movie can make any place feel like home.

Call Your Family and Friends as Much as Possible

I’m definitely the kind of person who calls their parents on a daily basis and I love it. Being able to call my family and talk about my day to them on a daily basis makes me feel closer to them especially since I only get to see them every couple of months or so. Keeping that strong connection and communication with your family and friends can definitely relieve some homesickness!

Hopefully, these tips can help you battle the homesickness and make any place feel like home!

Abby Vincent

Washington '21

Current sophomore studying Communications and Sales at the University of Washington. Enjoys writing, travel, music, doggos, and eating too much food in one sitting. Follow her socials!- Instagram & Twitter: _abbyvincent_