Colorado travel hiking mountains trees nature backpack trail high
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

As the weather starts to improve, I know we’re all excited to take advantage of that PNW beauty and go outside. Washington is blessed with a million and a half sites and locations to hike, backpack, sightsee, and kayak – but it’s important to stay prepared! As avid hikers, we’ve come up with a list of things to keep in mind before you head out for some awesome adventures.

• Bring trash bags: if you’re going to be eating, bringing a dog with you, or using plastic water bottles, it’s important to bring a bag for trash to minimize littering. Trash bags are also great to keep in the car, so you can put dirty boots and sneakers inside so that your car doesn’t get icky! We definitely recommend bringing spare shoes for the car so you don’t have to leave your muddy boots on.

• Pack lots of food and water!! You never realize how much you drink and how hard you work during hikes, and though it may make your backpack a little heavier, it’s definitely worth packing some sustenance. On that note, pack hand sanitizer to stay clean and reusable water bottles to minimize waste. 

• Be prepared for emergencies! Pack emergency gear like flashlights, first aid kits, and ponchos in the event that things go awry. We also recommend bringing a trail map – you never really know when your phone will die or connection will drop, and the last thing you want to do is get lost in the mountains. Finally, bring tire chains, a spare tire, and extra gas if you are travelling far away; traffic and road conditions may change drastically due to the spontaneity of PNW weather.

• Passes and permits: Be sure to do your research about what parking passes and permits are required for your planned hike. It’s tempting to risk a ticket if you arrive at the trailhead and realize you don’t have the necessary permit, but national parks rely on permit sales to maintain trails and it is everyone’s responsibility to hike responsibly. 

• Schedule in some extra time: Trails often provide opportunities for spontaneous extensions, alternative routes, and great views and photo opportunities. There’s nothing worse than feeling rushed on a hike, so give yourself ample time when planning your excursion so that you can fully enjoy nature and everything the trail has to offer.

Amelia Nathan

Washington '22

My name is Amelia and I am studying Comparative History of Ideas and Math at the University of Washington. I was born in California but love my home in Washington and when I'm not writing, I love hiking, painting with watercolor and alcohol inks, and watching crime shows!
Rohini Mettu

Washington '22

My name is Rohini Mettu, and I'm a self-taught, aspiring photographer and graphic designer in the Pacific Northwest. I love my hometown of Seattle, but I also love traveling the world and meeting new people! My other hobbies include painting, dancing, and binge watching Friends and the Office :)