Here Are the Movies of 2018 That Are More Worthy of “Best Picture” than ‘Green Book’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Because the black man whose name and legacy has been exploited becoming a “supporting character” in his own story tells you all you need to know about the movie. “Green Book” is a clueless display of tone-deaf pandering to neoliberal America. It pretends to be a brave, “woke” movie that stands up against prejudice but simply relays messages from decades past that are no longer relevant to modern society. Ali and Mortensen deliver warm and endearing performances that are simply not enough to save the film from its cliches and caricatures. It was created as a vanity project to make the white savior look good and as a circlejerk for white America as if to say “Isn’t it great we’re past these situations?” even though the racial tension in America has not dissipated and presents different problems today.

Movies that Tackle Race Better

Black History month just passed by and America hasn’t made any progress in race relations for the past few years. These movies explore contemporary race-related issues such as police violence, colonialism, and wage slavery in capitalism.

Blackkklansman

Sorry to Bother You

Blindspotting

If Beale St. Could Talk

Monsters and Men

Movies Directed by Women

Because there have only been 5 female nominees for Best Director and one winner (Kathryn Bigelow) in the history of the Oscars. Meanwhile Woody Allen has had 7 nominations while continuing to provide us with his pretentious self-inserts

Madeline’s Madeline

Zama

Capernaum

Happy as Lazzaro

You Were Never Really Here

Leave No Trace

The Miseducation of Cameron Post

Skate Kitchen

I Think We’re Alone Now

The Kindergarten Teacher

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

The Tale

Let the Sunshine In

Movies that Were Overlooked

These are the movies of last year that delivered award-winning performances, direction, editing, and/or writing that received absolutely zero Oscar nominations. Undervalued movies such as ‘Cold War’ or ‘At Eternity’s Gate’ do not even qualify for this category as these films hold nominations for ‘Best Cinematography’ or ‘Best Actor’. This category is reserved only for the films which received no recognition from the Academy Awards (though some have lucked out in more obscure, independent film awards)

Disobedience

Eighth Grade

The Other Side of the Wind

Wildlife 

The Death of Stalin

Burning

The Old Man & The Gun

Under the Silver Lake

They Shall Not Grow Old

Mayumi is an undergraduate student at the University of Washington majoring in Political Science and Cinema and Media Studies, minoring in Informatics. She grew up in the Philippines and went to high school in Washington state. She is an advocate for socioeconomic equality, civil rights, and anti-imperialism. She likes sightseeing and listening to music, drinking tea, and over-analyzing movies. Contact her through mayumi.alino@yahoo.com