This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I’m the first person in my family to earn their master’s degree and not having an in-person commencement ceremony is absolutely devastating. While the internet world is coming together to show their support and understanding for the Class of 2020, the fact is you don’t know or understand this feeling. For many, a commencement ceremony means much more than crossing a stage, it’s overcoming systemic barriers, it’s an experience you share with loved ones, and it’s showing the world: hell yeah, I did this, so can you!

I understand times are rough and uncertain, but I think it’s fair to give the Class of 2020 space to grieve this loss. We won’t get to experience the excitement of ordering/picking-up our caps and gowns. There won’t be an opportunity to take graduation photos amongst the beautiful campus cherry blossom trees or in our Hogwarts library. For me, my friends and family won’t see me get hooded, nor will there be the ever so cliché throwing of our caps in the air. Not to mention the hope of landing a job before or shortly after graduation is pretty much nonexistent.  

While UW is setting-up a virtual ceremony and has invited the Class of 2020 to participate in the 2021 commencement ceremony, it’s just not the same. I think myself and others are currently banking on the hope that our respective colleges would consider postponing graduation ceremonies – but even that alternative seems pretty bleak.

Commiserating aside, I want to share this with my fellow UW graduates: do remember, even though we won’t be crossing that stage in Husky Stadium this June, we are still GRADUATING. We’ll still be getting our very expensive piece of paper in the mail and be inducted into the Husky alumni family.

While not having a real commencement ceremony sucks, it’s definitely okay to feel sad, angry and cry about it. However, don’t let this virus take away all the hard work you’ve accomplished over these last few years and all the great college memories you’ve made. I know finishing up this quarter online is rough and your motivation might be at an all-time low – I know mine is – but try not to lose sight of that degree (we’ve made it this far!).

To the Class of 2020: I hear you, I see you, and I most definitely feel you.

Melissa Landeros

Washington '20

20 something graduate student from California.