Girlfriend Time: How to Throw an Informal Clothing Swap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Once every season or so, I get off my behind and clean my closet/room until it sparkles kind of thoroughly
. I usually end up with a pile of clothes stuffed in a bag that’s too small labeled “Goodwill”. Now, while I don’t want any of you to neglect Goodwill donations (it’s a great company!), I must say there is a more fun alternative. This, my fellow females, is called a clothing swap.

What is a clothing swap? Well, imagine if you and your friends all had an exclusive membership to a kind of thrift store co-op. Also, imagine if you didn’t have to pay any money for the clothes you bought there (whaaaa?). Yes, it’s a beautiful thing.

Maybe you’ve participated in one, maybe you haven’t. Maybe you’ve heard of people doing it but really have no idea how it works. Well, girlfriend, here’s a guide to help you get started organizing and hosting a clothing swap of your own.

Step 1: Clean out your closet, and get your friends to do it too.
Get in your closet (or wherever you keep you clothes) and really dig through it. Inspect every item, and for every item ask yourself “When was the last time I wore this? Why did I buy this? Does this even go with anything in my wardrobe?”. Be mean. These clothes do not have personalities. This is not Toy Story 3 (oh. So sad). Anything you have to think twice about goes in the clothing swap pile.

Step 2: Find a big, convenient space
Now, you must find a place to carry out your clothing swap. The best place to do this is usually in a living room or any place with a lot of sitting space. Where else are you gonna put all those clothes?

Step 3: TIME 4 A FACEBOOK EVENT
Really, this is the only way to do it. Don’t try to be alternative and email your friends- you probably don’t have 3/4+ of your friends’ email addresses. Also, don’t send out a mass text because everyone will definitely forget. Make a Facebook event for it and invite everyone you know (or, more practically, everyone whose clothes you are going to want). Figure out a date and time and really just wait around until then. Maybe clean your house/space.

Step 4: Organize yo’self
Make sure you are a good hostess and get together some snacks and drinks (if applicable). Also, figure out how in the world you are going to go about
swappin’ when the time comes. There are quite a few ways to do this, and it really depends on how many people are at the swap.
At smaller swaps, it may make the most sense to have every person go through their bag of clothes and show off each item. If someone wants it, they take it. If no one wants it, you burn it. Just kidding. But put it in a pile in case anyone changes their mind at the last minute. For larger groups, it may be the most efficient to just throw the clothes in the middle of the room and let everyone have at ’em. Or draw numbers. Your job is to figure out the rules- don’t look at me!

Step 5: The time has come
The final step is the swap itself! Have fun!

Always remember:

• Don’t take anything from anyone else that you know you aren’t going to wear/know you probably won’t wear. You’ll just end up housing it in your closet for a little bit, then bringing it to the next swap.
  • Keep a giant garbage bag in the middle for the “ultimately rejected” clothes. Take these to Goodwill. Don’t go back home with any of the stuff you originally brought unless you had a change of heart with any of your original clothing items.
  • Don’t have a change of heart with any of your original clothing items.
  • Be quick! If you see something you like, don’t be polite. Try yelling “MIIIIIIINE! GET. AWAY.” whenever you see a future addition to your closet.
  • Organize clothing swaps frequently because it’s a million times better than spending money on clothes. In the beautiful words of Evangeline Spracklin, “I have vowed to only buy shoes and underwear for the entire year. I see no use in buying clothes because clothing swaps are fun, eco-friendly, and create bonding time for girlfriends.”
Avalon is in her second year at the University of Washington, and currently pursuing a BA in Global Studies. When she's not in class, Avalon works at UWB's Learning Technologies center as a student assistant. She enjoys making lists, eating delicious food, watching movies, and crafting. Avalon's favorite town is probably Cabo San Lucas.