Five Drinks to Celebrate the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The winter months are officially here, folks. Grab your warmest sweaters, your fuzzy pants, your wool socks, flip to that fireplace channel, and find the trusty Michael Bublé Christmas album. If you’re in the mood for a little extra celebration, consider adding one of these drinks to your ideal winter night (or day, I don’t judge). And as always, drink responsibly.

Mimosa with a twist. Simple, but effective.

Who doesn’t love a mimosa to start of weekend brunch? While the classic mimosa is treasured by many, this twist will help you spice up this year-round staple. The twist? Use Cupcake Sparlking Prosecco. It’s delicious, trust.

Spice up your night with a winter sangria.

If you like oranges, pomegranate, cinnamon, and red wine then this one is for you. Yes, winter sangria. A special shoutout to Aimee and her blog Simple Bitesbecuase this sounds like the perfect holiday drink. You can find her recipe here:

Ingredients:

1 pear washed, seeded and sliced

4 clementines washed and sliced thinly

1 apple washed, seeded and sliced

1 cup pomegranate arils

1/4 cup organic raw cane sugar

1 cinnamon stick

1 bottle red wine

3 cups pomegranate juice or elderflower cordial

1 cup orange juice ideally freshly squeezed

1 litre ginger ale or club soda for serving

ice cubes

Directions:

In the bottom of a large glass pitcher or gallon jar, combine sliced fruit and pomegranate.

Sprinkle with cane sugar and toss in the cinnamon stick.

Pour the red wine and the fruit juices over the fruit.

Stir well, cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.

To serve, remove cinnamon stick, and pour over ice into glasses. Top with ginger ale or club soda to taste. Garnish with more pomegranate arils if desired.

Absolutley the best pear martini.

A week ago I found myself at Fujiyama’s drinking the best (and only) pear martini I have ever had. And would you look at that, I found the recipe for you. This Absolut Pear Martiniwill change your attitude, no matter the holiday drama. Here’s their recipe:

Ingredients:

1½ Parts Absolut Pears

¾ Part Simple Syrup

½ Part Lemon Juice

½ Part Pear Puree

1 Slice Pear

Ice Cubes

Directions:

Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add all ingredients. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a pear slice or get creative.

Margaritas? For Christmas? You bet.

This is for all you tequila girls. Another red drink for your holiday list, this one via Michelle’s blog Weekend Craft. Her recipeis:

Ingredients:

3 oz. Cranberry Juice

1 oz. Pomegranate Juice

1/2 oz. Lime Juice

1/2 oz triple sec or orange liqueur

2 oz Tequila (I prefer clear)

Top with frozen cranberries, ice and a sprig of rosemary

Instructions:

Add all ingredients to your martini shaker. Tip if you don’t have a shaker a mason jar works just fine if you strain the ice. Make sure the covers on tight and shake it! Up, down and all around.

Now pour into a glass over ice and top with frozen cranberries and a sprig of rosemary.

For the last one; a pop of plum.

Sick of pomegranate? Not about the pear martini? Try out a Plum Presecco Pop. Yes, this one is a little more complicated, so when you get bored with all your winter break free-time, try it out. Leigh Ann posted this recipeon her blog My Diary of Us:

Ingredients:

2 Plums

6 Thyme Sprigs

Juice from one Lemon

4 Tbsp. Thyme Simple Syrup (1/2 Cup of Sugar, 1/2 Cup of Water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, add thyme sprigs, stir, and let cool.  Chill until ready to use.)

1 Bottle of Prosecco or your favorite bubbly 

Directions:

Peel and chop 2 plums.  

Muddle the plums with the thyme simple syrup and lemon juice until all of the plum juices have been released.  (You can also muddle right in the glass if you prefer to have bits of fruit in your cocktail!)

Shake with ice in a cocktail shaker.

Pour over crushed ice evenly between two glasses.

Top off with prosecco and garnish with extra plum slices and thyme sprigs. 

Serve immediately.

Share these drinks with your friends and family as you unwind from the whirlwind that was fall quarter. Cheers, ladies.

Abigail Taylor

Washington '20

Abigail is a student journalist at the University of Washington who also has an interest in Philosophy, Sociology, and Spanish Language Studies. She spends a majority of her time writing, studying, and binge watching Netflix. When she is not obligated to these three activities Abigail enjoys traveling, taking landscape and architectural photos, and taste-testing every flavor of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Find her on twitter: @abigail_taylo