Style > Beauty

Facial Spin Brushes – Are They Actually Good for Our Skin?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Facial cleansing brushes (also known as spin brushes) are marketed to be a better tool than your hands when it comes to washing your face. Spin brush companies claim they are able to quickly clear your skin of makeup and oil as well as remove dirt more efficiently; better than your fingers ever could. 

Although pricey, spin brushes are popular among a lot of us and are a must-have in our skincare routines. However, they might be more harmful than we think.

For starters, the constant use of spin brushes can cause skin irritation. Although spin brushes claim to work better than fingers due to the bristles, they are rougher on the skin which result in micro-tears. Even the softest of bristles can be too harsh on the skin due to excessive friction.

If you have acne, the friction of the bristles can break open pimples which leads to bacteria being spread around your face. If the acne is inflamed, a spin brush can further the inflammation. If you’re a person of color, it’s also important to note that inflammation due to excessive friction can lead to hyperpigmentation.  

Spin brushes also harbor a lot of bacteria over time. This is due to the fact that spin brush bristles can never be thoroughly cleaned. Because of this, acne breakouts are more likely. 

Not only do spin brushes cause abrasions to the skin and spread bacteria, but they also cause heavy disruption to the lipid barrier in our skin. The scrubbing from spin brushes breaks down the lipid barrier so much so that it leads to an overproduction of oil. This is because spin brushes strip the skin of oils which result in your skin producing even more oil to compensate. 

Surprisingly, the best method to facial cleansing is to use your fingers, while doing the 60 second rule.

However, if you must use one, LaBeautyologist suggests limiting its use to only once a day and afterwards cleaning it with antibacterial soap and letting it air dry after every use.

Happy cleansing! 

Elly M

Washington '20

Elly is a senior studying Biology at the University of Washington. She has a love for writing, reading, and all things science or beauty related!