This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Every year, Washington experiences a brutal winter, full of gray skies, downpours, and 4:30 PM sunsets. Seattle’s despondent weather state is enough to make you want to close your blinds shut and lock yourself inside for eternity. But as the air gets warmer and the days get longer in the springtime months, I suddenly find myself itching to get outside any chance I can. While Seattle often gets recognized for its coffee, rain, and trees, its parks don’t receive nearly enough attention. Last weekend I spent two days wandering through one of the most beautiful green spaces in the city: Discovery Park. I was so taken aback by its beauty that I had to spotlight this park for longtime Seattle residents and newcomers alike who haven’t taken a chance to explore it.

paths
Photo by Jens Leslie from Unsplash
Discovery Park is situated near the Magnolia Bluff and contains just about every natural beauty you can think of. It possesses wide, open fields, a sandy beach touching the Puget Sound, lush forests, and tranquil ponds. Containing a whopping 534 acres, Discovery Park is Seattle’s largest park and one you can easily explore for a whole day without seeing all it contains.

As soon as I entered the park, I came upon a gigantic open meadow surrounded by a barricade of classic Washingtonian Evergreen trees. The late afternoon sunlight danced off of the copious dandelions in the field, making me want to frolic through it like a kindergartener. As we ventured through the winding trails, we came across the Daybreak Star Indian Cultural Center, a beautiful community center designed to educate and connect Indigenous people in the Puget Sound region. The cultural center possessed a picturesque view of the Sound and spaced-out picnic benches with room for people to picnic and enjoy the scenery.

We meandered down to the water and viewed the West Point Lighthouse (pictured below), along with a seemingly endless beach and towering sea cliffs. Coming across an actual sandy beach in Washington is often a rarity, which made walking along this shore even more special. The air was filled with salt and it was the perfect setting to watch the sunset.

Discovery Park
Amelia Nathan
When I left Discovery Park, I was shocked that in my 20 years as a Seattle resident, I hadn’t managed to walk around its dazzling terrain. The park contains enough acreage to allow you to get lost for hours on end and make you feel far away from the stressors of the city. It’s the perfect place to have a picnic, read, take photographs, and let your worries melt away. If you’re looking for something to do this weekend to get your mind off of the upcoming end of the quarter, this is the perfect site to visit.

Madison Huizinga

Washington '23

Madison Huizinga is currently a sophomore at the University of Washington and plans on studying communication. Madison is local to the Seattle area and has lived here her whole life. When Madison isn't writing, she loves dancing with Intrepidus Dance, traveling, cooking, and spending time with her friends and family.