This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

As all who love horror movies, ghost stories, and Pinterest do, I thrive during spooky season.

The moodiest songs come alive when I play them on an October stroll, and watching Halloween classics while the leaves are falling outside just itches my brain.

So many of my comfort characters over the years have come from the rewatch-every-October genre of media. These roles tend to have stronger personalities because psychological details are an important part of crafting effective ghost stories. It feels like the fundamental elements of good storytelling are bolder in horrors and thrillers: we in the audience subconsciously hold ourselves up to the protagonist, knowing what we’re scared of and what we’d do differently (like maybe not checking the basement). I can think of so many beloved gothic tropes – from Edward Scissorhands as the misunderstood monster to Edward Cullen as the immortal teenager. And then there are the witchy icons who steal your heart every spooky season. Like Stevie Nicks, for instance. She won’t make this list, because she’s not a fictional character, but it must be said.

I figure the ideal smoke circle has 5 or so members. I’ll count myself out seeing as I am not yet 21 and have therefore never come in contact with marijuana. Here’s the final cut:

…Gomez Addams, Addams Family Values. The Addams folk are a found family for every edgy oddball and ghoulish goon <3. Gomez and Morticia love each other even more than they love moonless cemetery nights. I chose Gomez because he’s always ready for a duel, but Morticia is definitely invited.

…Dr. Frank-N-Furter, The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Exquisitely portrayed by the inimitable Tim Curry, Frank-N-Furter changed the world forever the moment they introduced themself in Rocky Horror. I imagine filming the movie in 1973 must have been a lot of fun for everyone involved. To be a fly on that haunted castle wall…

...Father Paul, Midnight Mass. Midnight Mass is one of my favorite shows of all time, October or otherwise. Hamish Linklater’s performance as Father Paul deserved an Oscar nomination and I will never shut up about it. He can have a spot in the circle for consolation. I’m not religious, but that man can monologue like a god. Mike Flanagan is responsible for an array of masterpieces: Hush, the Haunting anthology (Hill House and Bly Manor) and The Midnight Club, which just came out on October 7th. We’ll see if it holds up!

…Auntie Whispers, Over the Garden Wall. I’m sorry but Auntie Whispers is adorable. AND she’s actually the second Tim Curry character on this list! Ain’t that just the way. Any character from Over the Garden Wall qualifies, really. Greg’s frog is a close second, but he’s probably busy with his record deal. That show is like a guided meditation for my inner child.

...And finally, Misty Day, American Horror Story: Coven. My sister and I rewatch Coven every October. It’s sustaining to the female mind. There’s no better trope than the witch bitch, and no show does it better. American Horror Story is my go-to for campy scares – Jessica Lange smoking a cigarette (seasons 1-4) holds more power than the President. Ryan Murphy’s contribution to Tumblr culture alone deserves historical recognition.

Anyway, Misty Day is like if Hozier was an American woman. She’s a hippie necromancer and I want to dance to Fleetwood Mac with her in her Louisiana swamp cottage.

May you channel these characters and their virtues in all your spooky season adventures. Happy October! Party responsibly :)

Joy Koston

Washington '24

I'm a sophomore at the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My passions are linguistics, nature, and any art that defies convention. I'm from Spokane, Washington, but Seattle and her rainy days have my heart. In my free time, I like to hike, eat spicy food, watch horror movies, and listen to girl in red :)