This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

In the last few weeks, Instagram has unleashed a series of updates that have made the app… almost unrecognizable. Over the summer “reels” started to become available on the app across different countries, similar to the short style videos that TikTok embodies that came with mixed reviews. Those that did not want to use TikTok and were now seeing this content uploaded as reels enjoyed the ability to enjoy the same content without downloading TikTok. However, some were also annoyed that they could not escape the similar platform, with Instagram becoming saturated with TikTok content.

Now, reels have replaced the creation tab, while the notifications tab has been replaced with “Instagram Shop”, a mainstream shopping tab that has been booted to the main feed page in the upper right corner. Especially during a pandemic, when small businesses are in more need of support, this has angered many users who have rendered the app obsolete. 

A woman looking at the Instagram sign up page
Photo by Tofros.com from Pexels

As someone whose first Instagram post was only a year after the creation of the app, seeing it go from a photo-sharing app amongst friends to one that is mostly checked for stories or updates on certain celebrities, I can understand why its popularity is going down. The app is harder to navigate, and after a few minutes of scrolling, it transitions into “suggested content.” While it gives you the option to view older posts, most of the time feeds include ads, more shopping options, and posts from people you have never heard of.

It has also become a platform where it capitalizes on getting the most amount of likes, which means posting at the right time and caption, accompanied by an Instagram story post linking to the new post because of the non-chronological nightmare. Personally, I no longer know when my friends post, and only a few I have turned post notifications on for, but many of them have nearly abandoned the platform due to lack of user-friendliness.

person holding a cell phone up in front of city buildings
Photo by Jakob Owens from Unsplash

In light of the pandemic, I find myself checking big social media platforms like this less anyway, especially when the desired content can’t seem to reach its viewers. People post only what they want others to see, and though I am not one to judge their content, I find that I compare myself to others more harshly when scrolling as I see groups of smiling faces, someone relaxing in bed, or families celebrating thanksgiving meals. It’s hard to not compare their posts to my life, when there are days that I do not leave my room except to make meals or I’m struggling to stay on my computer for hours a day to complete homework. 

If Instagram is trying to keep an audience by providing different outlets of content, then I believe this is an instance where it is simply too much. At most, users should be able to choose what tabs occupy the bottom bar, and shopping is not one that is needed for a platform that was originally about sharing photos. There are enough repetitive ads between the posts that bury users who don’t post often, and if it is that difficult to navigate the feed, it is not going to keep people engaged. 

Besides, checking up on each other has never been more vital, and I do not need Instagram for that.

Taylor-Ann Kacatin

Washington '21

Taylor-Ann is a senior studying Architecture. She enjoys reading, sketching, playing animal crossing, and writing!