After Listening to Taylor Swift’s “Midnights” 5 Times, Here Are My Top 5 From the Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

On the evening of October 20th (or midnight of the 21st, depending on time zone), Taylor Swift broke records with her newest album “Midnights” as the most streamed album in a single day. Objectively, this album did well, and as a self-proclaimed “Swiftie” I was pretty excited to say the least. And after listening to the album roughly five times give or take, I have to say I enjoyed this album. I have some favorites and less favorites. Here are what I believe to be the standout songs from the album and some other Taylor Swift songs that remind me of them if you loved these songs as much as I did.

1. Bigger Than The Whole Sky 

This song is a real tear jerker and a true lullaby about the one who got away and loss. Although it may not be for everyone, the musicality and lyrics of this relaxing and heartbreaking song resonated with me. I find that the real measure of a song is what it leaves you with and this one definitely sits with you. If you liked this song, other Taylor songs you might love are some of her others about letting go even when you love or miss someone, something like “Better Man” or conversely “Right Where You Left Me” is about loss in a paralyzing way. 

1. Midnight Rain 

This song paints a story through a great musical backdrop as we get the story of Taylor, who wanted to explore and get out of her town and someone who wanted to settle down and embrace comfortability. This song is nostalgic in a way that makes you consider what you want in life. If you liked this song, maybe try “Tis the Damn Season” or “Dorothea”, two songs also about nostalgia and old times. 

1. The Great War 

This song is about the trial of a relationship and the title alludes to World War I as comparison. The song is ultimately about loyalty and devotion to a person through hard times. This one is gonna be relatable for those who have experienced these hardships and have chosen love over ease. If you like this one, I suggest you listen to “Long Story Short” or “Out of the Woods”, songs which are about getting through hardships and finding the right person. 

1. Labyrinth 

This song is another love song which seems to be about Swift’s current partner, Joe Alwyn. This song reveals a sense of anxiety over falling in love. Ultimately, it is a song about expectations. Expecting the worst, but being surprised when things work out, especially in love. This one was beautiful and a spring contender for my favorite on the album, but didn’t quite compare to the emotions the ones before it held. If you like this one, I suggest listening to other song’s by Swift that are more positive in the love realm, such as “You are in Love”.  

1. Snow On The Beach 

In this Lana Del Rey collaboration, Swift gives us a happier song which portrays the complexity and almost odd nature of falling in love with someone as you watch them fall in love with you. It has a unique tone both thematically and in its literal musical tone. If you like this one, you might like “Lover.”

Ultimately, “Midnights” was a successful album and it was a great listen. Whether you are are seasoned Swiftie or a new Taylor Swift fan, it is worth trying out for yourself and discovering your own favorites from “Midnights”.

Talia Segal

Washington '26

Hi everyone!! My name is Talia and I'm a pre-med (hopeful neuroscience) student here at UW! My hometown in Los Angeles, Ca, but I'm originally from New York. I love creative writing and science and I'm super passionate about where the two meet. Some of my hobbies are baking, sewing, weightlifting, crocheting, and obviously writing :) I'm super excited to be a part of this team!