picture of dorm room
picture of dorm room
Original photo by Nicole Katz
Style > Decor

Cute (and Cost-Effective) Ways to Decorate Your Living Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Living on (or near) campus is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that helps form your independence. And, arguably, one of the best parts of a new “home away from home” is adding your personal touches to an otherwise seemingly drab space. Decorating your room is an exciting way to add individuality, yet it can become expensive quickly, but it doesn’t have to be. These are 5 cost-effective ideas on how to decorate your living space:

Photos

Your photos are not just a way to cover your wall, but can remind you of some of your favorite memories. There are so many ways to make a Pinterest-worthy picture display. You could make a collage by attaching developed photos (or Polaroid pictures) directly onto your wall. Or, you can get a photo display and clip your pictures onto it: including a photo grid, a hangit photo display, or string lights. 

Laura Claypool-Postcards Dorm Wall Decor Photos Polaroids
Laura Claypool / Her Campus

Plants

Whether you invest in fake or real ones, plants are the perfect way to add a touch of green to a space. You can get small potted plants to add to your desk, windowsill, or nightstand (just to name a few). And if you’re looking for wall decorations, fake vines are a worthwhile option. They tend to come in bulk, making it a great commonality to have throughout your living space.

Posters

Do you have a favorite show? Favorite movie? Is there an album or artist you can’t stop talking about? Or do you just want some cool art for your room?  Posters are one of the best ways to express your interests, as well as good conversation starters when meeting your neighbors (speaking from personal experience). You can go to the HUB right now and take advantage of their poster sale. And, Innervisions on the Ave also has a wide selection.

Collage Kits

Are you going for a certain color scheme in your room? Collage kits are a great way to bring that aesthetic to life. This wall decoration is a selection of thematic pictures that have the same one or two main colors. Etsy, Redbubble, Amazon, and even Facebook Marketplace have a great selection from small businesses. As someone who attempted to make their own collage kit last year, let me tell you, purchasing one saves so much time.

College Dorm Room
Ann Huff

Tapestries

I am a firm believer that buying a tapestry for your room is a solid investment. I bought one for my dorm room the summer before freshman year; and unlike some other wall decorations, I know that I will have it for all four years of college, and beyond. It also covers a large amount of wall space. Tapestries can be pricey, but it’s all about knowing where to look (marketplace websites tend to have great deals, same with thrift stores). 

body images 2019 10 27 vanessa 4jpg?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Personalizing your dorm room or apartment is a way to make your new space feel like home. These 5 decoration ideas can not only fit everyone’s personal style, but are cost-effective options as well.

Annie Melnick

Washington '24

Annie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus UW, majoring in English with a minor in Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies. She is originally from Los Angeles, and is a self-described bookworm, reality competition show superfan, and coffee connoisseur, among other things.