Climbing a Ladder, Scaling a Mountain: First-Gen College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Being a first-generation college student can be scary yet rewarding. It means being the first person in your family to attend college. Although this is something to be proud of, it also puts us at an automatic disadvantage. We are surrounded by people who were groomed for college, who had college-educated parents and thereby expected confidence to succeed. I’m lucky enough to know older first-gen students who I take advice from as well as EOP advisors, but I also know students who don’t have that privilege. Having a community of people with shared experiences is important to prevent feeling lonely in such a big space.

Although there’s been an increase in first-gen enrollment in Universities, the graduation rate is still lower. This is mainly due to financial needs. In the last two decades, college tuition has solely increased, and more students need a first or second job. This becomes a barrier to their education and results in higher dropout rates.

It can be difficult to enjoy the educational process while it’s happening because of general stress, grades, deadlines, and the pandemic hasn’t exactly helped. But I constantly remind myself how valuable education is. Not so much grades, rather what you are actually learning. It’s important to remind yourself of the sacrifices your parents or guardians made for you and know your presence in higher education outweighs any disadvantage.

group of students sitting with notebooks open
Sincerely Media/Unsplash

You deserve to be here- Imposter syndrome can easily wrap its ugly self around you, but just know that you earned your place, and your perspective is just as important as anyone else’s.

Budget and Prioritize- I had a hard time with this at the beginning of freshman year, but over time I learned to prioritize my needs over my wants. I never wanted to ask my parents for money because I knew they couldn’t help me, so that made prioritizing much easier. But if you have parents who can financially support you and they want to, make sure to take care of that money well.

Do not define yourself by the numbers – In college, I’ve found myself around people who prioritize school over everything, and rightfully so, since it’s extremely expensive. But honestly, I do not wish to compete with others over grades and my personal life. Do not make the mistake of defining your worth and intelligence based on your grades. I’m learning to balance school and my personal life and not to intertwine both too much.

BALANCE- Guilty! 

Your education is important and the work ethic you’ve built to be here is really great! But do not make school your entire identity. Take time for your hobbies, your family, and your friends! At the end of the day, the institution will always be here. Your health is most important to your life and if it needs priority, then put it first.