freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Celebrating Valentine’s Day with your S.O. for the First Time: Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Okay ladies, confession time: I’ve always been single on Valentine’s Day. I’ll admit, I was always–and still am– a HUGE fan of Galentine’s Day. I mean who doesn’t love an excuse to hang out with the squad, right? But this year while I’ll still be celebrating Galentine’s Day with the girls, I also get to celebrate my first Valentine’s Day with bae! Whether you’ve just made it official a couple of weeks ago or you’ve been happily dating for a few months, your first Valentine’s Day with your significant other may feel a bit overwhelming. From having to mull over gift ideas, date adventures, and outfit options, the process of deciding what to do may appear daunting. Here’s a few things to keep in mind so you can make your first Valentine’s Day with them special. 

1. DO be romantic

Even though some people are against mushy displays of affection, endless bouquets of flowers, or baskets of chocolates, Valentine’s Day is the one day when you shouldn’t be afraid to express how you feel. Whether you decide to recreate your first memories together or create some new ones, don’t forget to be at least a little bit romantic, even if it’s out of your comfort zone. Remember Valentine’s Day is the one day when it’s okay to be unapologetically romantic!

2. DON’T make it all about you

There’s nothing worse than feeling left out. The last thing you’ll want to do is make your partner feel that way. Valentine’s Day isn’t a day all about you. It’s about cherishing the love you share with your significant other. It’s a day when you both get to celebrate all of the beautiful memories you’ve made together and hope to continue making. Therefore, you should be mindful of working towards making plans that will make both of you happy; not just yourself. 

3. DO pay attention to how your S.O. wants to celebrate

That being said, one way to ensure you’re both on the same page is to ask your partner something as simple as, “How would you like to celebrate Valentine’s Day?” You might be surprised to find out that his or her ideal way to celebrate differs from yours. Which means it’s compromising time! Most times in relationships you’ll have to meet in the middle for each other at one point or another.

4. DON’T pressure or be pressured to make it an over-the-top day

Don’t fall into the trap of saying “yes” to everything in the name of love on this holiday. Only you truly know your boundaries and values. If you’re facing a situation where your significant other asks you to participate in something that you feel pushes your boundaries, there’s no shame in telling them no. There’s nothing romantic about doing something that you’re not comfortable with, no matter how much your partner pressures you to. Stay true to who you are! 

5. DO remember your love extends beyond this day   

This is not the only day you should feel the need to show how you feel. Simple gestures such as being there on the bad days, leaving positive notes of encouragement on exam days, or treating bae to a special date are all great ways to keep your love life spicyyy all year long! Odds are if you keep the flame going, your partner will feel inspired to do so too; this will only strengthen your relationship in the long run. 

6. AND DON’T say “I love you” for the first time just for the sake of the day

If you haven’t said it yet, now’s not the right time–unless it’s for the right reasons. What I mean is, don’t feel pressured to say something just because you’re caught up in the “day of love.” You should say it when you truly mean it and not just because you feel like you should feel it. If you don’t mean it when you say it the first time, then it won’t have the same meaning later on. That being said if the sparks are flying, you’ve been waiting for a special day, and you know in your heart you’re ready to say “I love you”,  there’s really no better day to tell that special someone how you truly feel! 

Callista Ordonez

Washington '22

Callista is a second year student at the University of Washington studying Global Public Health! She is from Southern California and enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with friends, and kayaking on the lake.