you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Campus Conversations With Timila Kulkarni: Life of a Corporate Girlie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Timila Kulkarni is more than just a student here at the University of Washington. Exemplifying the UW motto ‘Be Boundless,’ she works part-time while being a full-time student. She’s in her second year of studying economics, with minors in public policy and math.

After spending her freshman year solely focused on lectures, homework, and exams she decided to branch out into the financial world for her second year. Taking an 18 credit course load on top of working can be a daunting task; spending 8-10 hours a week in an office environment after spending so much time in the classroom can be intimidating. But for Timila, she was determined to take on more responsibility and to learn more about a field of interest.

What is your role in the company?

“My role is a general intern. I do a lot of administrative stuff, I look at a lot of tax deductions like 401(k) specifically. The company takes the 401(k)s and invests them in bonds, takes the profits, and then gives the money back to the people who have the 401(k)s. This money is invested in bonds. It’s a niche market of just benefits. The company is called First Hill Trust – Benefits Administrative Company.” 

How does your job connect to your major?

“It’s pretty relevant to my major with econ and finance. It could be a potential career path for me. It’s a good way to get experience in a field that I might be interested in. The company has been really good and the people working there have been really nice.”

What have you learned from this experience so far?

“It hasn’t been a long time, only a few weeks. I’ve just learned more about the finance field because I didn’t know a lot about the finance field to begin with. I’ve learned more about the company and the company culture. I’m the only intern there so I sit in between the traders, the other administrators, and the other investors so I get to see what they do even if I don’t get to do it on my own.”

How do you find a balance between work and school?

“For me, it’s worked out really well. That was the one thing I was scared about when taking this job because school is important and I’m paying for school. One thing that’s worked for me is leaving work at the office and coming back to do school. Also taking breaks to keep your mental health up and doing fun things between work and school on the weekends. I’m only working 8-10 hours a week. So that’s a good balance with the credit load I have.”

What is your favorite thing to do to destress?

“I like to hang out with my friends and watch a TV show that is objectively terrible but is really fun to watch. Just talking to my friends, going to get food, getting boba, or just cooking at the end of the day. It detaches me from everything else which is fun.”  

What advice would you give someone looking to take on a part time job who is a college student?

“If you’re interested in taking a part time job make sure it’s something you are actually interested in and it’s worth it. Make sure you are treated well and given the flexibility you need. School is a full time thing so working a part time job can be stressful on top of that. Make sure you are putting your mental health first.”

When faced with stress, it is important to remember to always put your mental health first. Some more ways that Timila likes to relax is watching TV shows with her roommates. Her favorite guilty pleasure show is currently Emily in Paris with Pretty Little Liars being her all time favorite. The Summer I Turned Pretty and Bachelor in Paradise also received honorable mentions. Additionally, her most important trick is that eating peanut butter cups (specifically the ones from Trader Joe’s) always raises her mood.

Elizabeth Williams

Washington '25

Elizabeth Williams is one of the Campus Correspondents for University of Washington’s Her Campus chapter. As a freshman she was a Writer, followed by being a Corresponding Editor for a year. In her hometown of Wilton, Connecticut she developed her love of writing in high school. Now as a junior at the University of Washington, she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Psychology. Through her journalism classes she has covered a variety of topics about the environment, social media, and on-campus events. For Her Campus, she mainly writes about music, fashion, and college advice. She also just recently returned to campus from studying abroad in London! In her free time she loves reading (she read 25 books last year), doing hot yoga, and spending time with her roommates. If she’s not writing you can probably find her getting coffee or at a concert, most likely at Harry Styles’ Love on Tour or at Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour. If you have read some of her articles, you can probably tell that her greatest achievements are getting tickets to concerts (a certified skill) and predicting the outcome of reality tv shows.