This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

photo courtesy of Teresa Chuang

How did you first learn about Her Campus?

Before coming into the UW during my senior year of high school, I was excited about heading into university and would read Her Campus articles. I would view articles from various university chapters and found a chapter at the UW. 

How did you get involved with Her Campus at UW?

It all started out from my interest in Her Campus articles during my time in high school and reaching out to the Campus Correspondent during the fall of my freshman year. I remember the excitement receiving an email back from the Campus Correspondent inviting me to meet up with her for coffee. The team was starting back up again, and that began the start of my Her Campus journey.

How has leading a Her Campus chapter influenced you or your future?

Her Campus has allowed me to create a community of amazing women focused upon empowering one another and building each other up. The chapter began as a team of three and has grown to what it is now with over thirty members. To be able to foster a community of like-minded women, from all around campus has been inspiring and an empowering experience. I look forward to bringing my experience leading an amazing group of women moving forward into the future!

What is being a Campus Correspondent like? What are the best and hardest parts of the job?

It’s been an amazing learning opportunity. As a Campus Correspondent, my role is focused upon managing the whole chapter and working with various team leads, such as the Senior Editor, Social Media Manager, and Events Director. Through my role as a Campus Correspondent, one of the hurdles at the start was managing weekly forms, but incorporating it into routine help to resolve that. The best part of the job is being able to interact and work with an amazing group of women.

What else on and off campus are you involved in?

Previously I worked as a student consultant for a small business in downtown Seattle and am currently working as a Marketing Intern for a startup called AnswerDash. I am also a Global Social Ambassador for the UW Global Business Center and work as a Student Alumni Ambassador for the UW Alumni Association. Clubs I am involved with include Startup UW and Kayak Club. 

As you approach graduation and look back at the last three years, what would you consider the biggest lessons learned?

I would say definitely take advantage of the fact that you go to a big school in the city of Seattle filled with amazing people and opportunities. College is such an incredible learning and growing experience. If I could sum up my college experience at UW with four takeaways, it would be:

1) Don’t be afraid of change. Change is good and is the one constant in life.  

2) Take on opportunities that scare and challenge you. 

3) Say yes to opportunities that excite you and say no to the ones that don’t.

4) If you can, study abroad. Being in a whole new country and culture opens your eyes to a whole new perspective and light. 

In Luxembourg Gardens in Paris, photo courtesy of Teresa Chuang

Is there anything you would want to redo? Why or why not?

I believe every experience is a learning opportunity. There isn’t anything specifically I would want to re-do (wouldn’t mind reliving college again before working full-time), but if I could give someone a tip who is entering into college I would say: challenge and put yourself outside your comfort zone. College is a key time to try new things, excel and fail, and to pick yourself right up. Stay curious, learn new skills, and meet new people in and outside of your major. As Steve Jobs once said, “Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish.”

Do you have any #girlboss tips you’ve picked up over the years?

1) On organization…

Google Calendar is your best friend; use it! 

2) On confidence…

Understand that you can’t please everyone, and someone’s opinion of you is none of your business. 

3) On Self-care…

Self-care is important! Whether that means going on a run or checking out the newest coffee spot, remember to take care of yourself.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I enjoy working out and listening to podcasts! My favorites include Freakonomics, Ladies Who Lunch, and Planet Money

What’s your favorite UW memory?

My favorite memory was the summer of my freshman year right after finals, when my best friend and I dressed up and went to University Village for Din Tai Fung and had our own mini-photo shoot all over the UW campus.

photo courtesy of Teresa Chuang

Favorite HC memory?

Being invited to Microsoft’s Imagine Cup and Windows 10 Launch as part of the press as a Campus Correspondent. My favorite memory was visiting the Girls Who Code office and meeting the amazing ladies of the program. It was an amazing opportunity to represent Her Campus as well as learn more about initiatives Microsoft was working on to empower women in STEM.

photo courtesy of Teresa Chuang

Best study spot?

Cafe Allegro and Cafe on the Ave are good spots if you want to find a place on the Ave to study. 

Describe yourself in 3 words.

Passionate, Outgoing, Driven.

And finally, according to this Buzzfeed quiz, what are you secretly good at? 

“You can diffuse all awkward situations. You know how to make even the most tightly wound or shy people open up and relax.”

Hannah is a senior studying marketing and English at the University of Washington and is the Editor of the UW Her Campus chapter. She was also a Summer 2017 editorial intern for Her Campus Media. When not editing, writing, or pitching articles, she's probably at brunch.