Career

Campus Conversations with Denise Bui: The New Age of Thrift Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Thrifting has become wildly popular in the past few years and I am 100% certain we have social media to thank! It’s easy, affordable and not to mention it’s always fun digging around and finding something that you know you’re getting a good deal on! However, something I have seen more of a spark in is the social media game in thrifting accounts! Many start off their accounts by simply wanting to sell their own old clothes to make a bit of money, but once becoming immersed within the inclusive and welcoming thrifting community online, they choose to stay and help others find their own unique style in an affordable way! That is exactly how Denise started building her successful reselling business through Instagram! 

So, meet Denise! She is a 20-year-old Olympia, Washington native who is finishing her degree in marketing and entrepreneurship at The University of Washington! On top of being immersed in many different organizations on campus, she has been in the social media “reselling biz” since middle school! Her love for fashion is what inspired her to start this on and off account. At first, it was simply just wanting to get rid of old clothes she no longer needed, while also making some money! In high school she started being active within her reselling account once again, but quickly became burnt out because of all her other responsibilities. 

It wasn’t until the summer of 2020, after the pandemic hit, that she restarted and rebranded her whole online boutique! New name, new look, new everything! She quickly realized it was not just because she wanted some extra cash, but she genuinely enjoyed meeting new people, shopping at thrift shops, helping others find their style and posting her fun fashion finds online! 

“I was really happy to do it! It was more of a hobby now, you know. Taking pictures, posting them and talking to new people rather than just focusing on making money” 

When first starting her business in middle and high school, Denise struggled with gaining followers and gaining confidence within herself and her business. She kept her business a secret for fear of being judged. Now in college, she struggles most with realizing: she does everything! The marketing, the shipping, the sourcing, financials, customer service, answering direct messages all day, photography – everything! It gets tiring and overwhelming and the added stress of being a full-time college student definitely doesn’t help! 

Despite all the stress running a small business can have on her, she makes it known that it is all worthwhile in the end! Being able to be a part of such a big and exciting community and meeting new people gives Denise the fuel she needs to continue putting her best into her business.

“I love my customers, but I also love that they are not just my customers, but my friends. They message me about how much they love their items or simply message to tell me about their day! It’s really great. Oh! Also, all other thrift accounts are super supportive of each other and I really like helping other accounts gain momentum.”

Considering that Denise has been doing this for a long time now and has gone through many ups and downs within her shop, she knows what it takes for someone to start and run a business. Self-motivation and perseverance are something that all small business owners need to be successful, and Denise is aware of this as well! She expressed that it takes a lot in a person to not compare themselves to other businesses and keep pushing, even if they are not doing as well as they had hoped, but what’s the number one thing you need when running a business according to Denise? Passion. She makes it clear that if you’re not passionate about what you do, you will never be satisfied no matter what. 

“If you have a strong love and passion for what you do, regardless of the number of sales you make, it is more likely you will continue.” 

Thrift clothes
Photo by Artificial Photography from Unsplash

Denise has been able to fulfill many of the goals she had set in place for her business and is looking forward to accomplishing many more. Her most memorable accomplishments are when she reached her goal of 4,000 followers on her business account and when she first sold out of an inventory drop! She is grateful that this business has not only brought her closer to a loving and welcoming community of strong, resilient women, but has also brought her self-confidence as well! 

When it came to modeling her clothes and taking photos to post onto her account, Denise was hesitant in showcasing her body like that. Given that she didn’t believe she had the “perfect” body type that is glorified today, and the type that most other Instagram models have. She would nitpick and obsess over any and every detail in the photos she took. Through time, she realized that none of that mattered and she wanted her customers to see their items on a body and in an active environment rather than just hung up. 

“I see all these other accounts with the ‘perfect body’, and I would struggle with my self image. I had to understand that it was helpful for my customers and it is something I have gotten better at. I used to look at every picture and point out my stretch marks, my rolls, or anything I didn’t like, but now I’m just like, whatever, it’s my body what am I going to do about it!” 

When Denise was asked if she had any advice for anyone looking to start their own business, she grew ecstatic and made me aware that she loves when people come to her when needing help with starting a business, (or simply asking for advice in anything!) Making friends with the community is something she quickly learned is a vital part of building a successful business. 

“When you’re by yourself you can have some growth, but I definitely feel that you grow the most when you have friends within the community who support you while you also support them.”

Another piece of advice that Denise had to offer was simply being your genuine self and not comparing your triumphs and defeats to anyone else’s. Relate to your customers and show them that you are just like them! They shouldn’t be intimidated by you just because you have a business. Also, look at others for inspiration, but don’t look at them with envy or longing, because they were once where you are!

Denise’s current favorite fashion trend is the use of corsets and lingerie in a casual outfit! She loves women exploring their sexuality while still being cute and comfortable!

“I love seeing the casual sexy outfits on women and whenever I wear those types of outfits, I feel so empowered and hot! Like yes, I am a baddie!”

If you want to support Denise’s business or maybe find yourself some cute and cheap clothes, follow her Instagram @deniicloset and let her know I sent you – she’ll take great care of you! 

Sitlali Cortes

Washington '23

Sitlali is a third year student at the University of Washington and intended communications major! She's from Yakima, Washington and when she's not busy with school or work you'll find her with friends and family! She also enjoys reading and writing poetry and making playlists.