This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

After being stuck inside for weeks studying for finals, all anyone wants to do is get outside. Here’s some of the best hikes close to Seattle that don’t require any extra gear during the winter—and could be great stress relief after all those late-night library cram sessions. Even if it’s freezing and rainy, the fresh air will feel amazing. 

1. Discovery Park Loop Trail

Discovery Park is in the Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle, and you can easily bus there from the U-District. There’s over 11 miles of trails in the park, that bring you to lookouts over the Sound, and down to the beach.

2. Rattlesnake Snake Lake

A Seattle-area classic, Rattlesnake Lake is only 45 minutes away from UW. This short hike is steep, but offers awesome views at the top.

3. Wallace Falls State Park

A little over an hour north of Seattle, Wallace Falls is 4 miles long, and has three viewpoints to view the waterfall.

4. Heybrook Lookout                                

Just down the road from Wallace Falls, Heybrook Lookout offers an uphill climb to an old fire watch tower that offers a panoramic view of the surrounding mountains.

5. Heather Lake

An hour and a half from Seattle, Heather Lake is a steady climb through a forest, with a seemingly endless trail opening up to an amazing lake and mountain.

Remember to always wear warm clothes and bring water and snacks! To read hike reviews, or look for more hikes go to https://www.wta.org/

"We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third." -Leslie Knope