This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up, and if you’re anything like me, you are still single, and are preparing to see the numerous snapchats/instagram stories and posts everywhere from people all over the world who are happy and in love. Now, I have no problem being single, but I must admit that even my stone cold heart twists a little when I see everyone so happy and couple-y and in love. 

It might seem fit to throw a little pity party sometimes, but you shouldn’t. Being single on valentine’s day is perfectly fine, and valid, and normal! There are millions of people just like you! Don’t let the lights of roses, chocolate and romance blind you from that. You are not alone, and there are so many people like you. Plus, being single is so great for so many reasons!

Without a significant other, you have so much more independence. You are the only person who makes decisions for yourself. You get to decide what you can and can’t wear, what you do with your free time, what side of the bed to sleep on, anything! You are your own person, who makes autonomous decisions, and there is no one to tell you what you can and can’t do. 

Plus, being single also gives you so much more time to hang out with friends. Sure, having a boyfriend/girlfriend is nice, but having best friends is so much better. You can see them whenever you want, build stronger bonds, make more memories, without the constraint of a relationship. 

You also have so much more time for yourself. Yes, that can seem daunting, but there is a big difference between being alone and being lonely. Being alone with yourself can help you learn more about who you are. You teach yourself self patience, self growth, and most importantly, self love. You don’t need anyone else’s approval but your own, and being single teaches you that.

Last but not least, you don’t have to spend your money on anyone else. Anniversaries? Dates? Gifts? Birthdays? Not you, and not me. Especially as a broke college student, every, and I mean every dollar is essential, and so not having to spend it on things a fancy dinner date is amazing. 

Now, I know relationships are great, and fulfilling, and wonderful things to have. However, not being in a relationship is just as great, and fulfilling, and wonderful. You can have just as much satisfaction with your life cuffed or not. So happy valentine’s day, all you single people out there! I hope you have tons of fun with your friends, or by yourself, and remember all the great reasons why being single rocks.

Elizabeth Mugho

Washington '23

I'm a freshman at the University of Washington, with a passion for writing.