This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

People often view Valentine’s day as a holiday exclusively for couples. I’ve always interpreted the holiday as a day of celebrating love- no matter who its toward. So as long as you show love for someone in your life, like a friend or family member, Valentine’s day can’t be so bad, right? And even if you don’t, why not take the day to celebrate the love you have for yourself? There are so many reasons why it’s perfectly acceptable to spend this Sunday by yourself, and perhaps even preferable! Here are a few for all my single ladies:

You can literally do anything you want

This Sunday, you won’t have to worry about making compromises on how to spend the night. Since it’s only you, you can quite literally do anything you want. You could curl up in your comfiest pajamas and watch your favorite rom-com. Or, you could go get a massage, order-in dinner, or even sleep in. By all means, take the full day off and have a self-care day, you deserve it!

Buy yourself gifts, instead of buying them for someone else

Use that well-deserved money that you were planning to spend on someone else, and treat yourself instead! No one knows you better than you, so I’ll bet you’ll love the gift you get yourself. Or even better, treat yourself to a day at the mall and splurge on what you may have hesitated to buy yourself before. 

Celebrate the day with your friends

Spending the day with multiple friends, rather than one significant other, can end up being way more fun, in my opinion. Have a girls night and watch some movies or get dinner. If you can’t see your friends this Sunday due to the pandemic, you can also spread the love by making them Valentines! You can write cute cards, make goodie bags with assorted candies, or even bake heart-shaped cookies to give to your friends. They’ll be so happy, and you’ll get to spend your Valentine’s thinking about the people you love. 

Take advantage of post-holiday sales

The highly commercialized holiday isn’t just for couples. You have access to all the same sweet treats at the supermarket that everyone does, including the sales! The day after Valentine’s day, treat yourself to some discounted candy . . . and keep it all to yourself. 

Kara Fong

Washington '22

Hi I’m Kara! I'm a junior studying Biochemistry and Economics. I like desserts, long car rides, and movies :')