This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Most people think that as it’s the start of a new year, everyone is feeling energized and positive – ready to achieve their New Year’s resolutions and goals. The reality for a lot of people, including me, is that January can be a mundane and slightly depressing month. The buzz of Christmas and New Year’s is over, and you have to wait a whole year for that time to come around again. Unless you have a birthday in January, there really isn’t a cool or fun holiday to celebrate in this month.

I personally reflect a lot on the previous year during January, and that can get me feeling down because I always think of all the exciting things I did and then compare them to my current situation, which is mainly just getting back into going to school and classes, and studying. The weather also doesn’t help much—its cold, gray and rainy outside and there is barely any daylight seeing as the “sun” rises at around 8am and sets at 4pm. 

Some ways to beat the blues (if you also feel them) are:

1. Find a new hobby

Seeing as its the start of a new year, this is the perfect time to try something new, whether it be a sport or something creative. This doesn’t have to be a huge time commitment—we’re all busy college students—so you could try something as easy as trying recipes from Chrissy Tiegen’s new cookbook or signing up for a local yoga studio. 

2. Go outside

Even though Seattle winters are cold and rainy, sometimes fresh air is just what you need after a long day (or week) cooped up inside a lecture hall. Bundle up and find a great rainy day playlist on Spotify, then head outside, even if it’s just a quick walk to Gas Works. 

3. Plan events for 3-day weekends, spring break, or even summer

Even if these plans feel a long way off, they can help keep you motivated despite the seemingly endless slog of winter quarter! Something to look forward to might make it just a bit easier to get through that miles-long assigned reading.  

4. Listen to music

Life is a lot better with a great soundtrack. Take time to find new songs or artists, create playlists, have dance parties or karaoke—music can do wonders for your mood! Ask your friends for recommendations, try a new radio station or two, or check out the soundtracks to your favorite movies and tv shows. 

Of course, you could always just curl up in bed and go into hibernation until spring quarter and its cherry blossoms show up…I wouldn’t blame you!

Ana Bhardwaj

Washington '21

Ana is a sophomore at the University of Washington from London, England. She is studying English Literature and in her free time, she enjoys photography, baking, watching movies and going to concerts and festivals.