Life > Experiences

An Evening with Neuroscience 2023: All About the Coolest Spring Event at UW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Bye-bye, cherry blossoms—the next “it” spring thing on campus is finally here, and we’re all invited. 

Grey Matters, a neuroscience journal on the University of Washington campus run completely by a team of undergraduate students, is beyond thrilled to announce their 10th annual “An Evening with Neuroscience” event, on May 5th from 6-9 p.m., in the Kane 130 auditorium. The journal’s team, with a deeply held motivation to create and promote digestible information about neuroscience on campus, invites you, your friends, and the hopping city of Seattle, regardless of scientific background, for a night full of fun and adventure. 

An interest in anything and everything about the human brain is all you’ll need for this event—whether you’re a literal brainy student with a knack for life science, a prospective major itching, or any Husky community member for a peak into the human mind, an Evening with Neuroscience is an open-attendance chance for you to learn anything and everything you’ve ever wanted to know about the human brain. 

The event, free of charge to all, is broken up into two parts, sure to have something special for everybody. The first half of the evening will engage you in a riveting discussion with a panel of neuroscience and psychology experts, no two with alike experiences from their work and research in the field, followed by an interactive second half where audience members can ask and get devoted answers to their deepest wonderings on the human psyche. Worry not, this won’t be the average class lecture you’ve experienced in Kane before—in-between the two panels, you’ll have the opportunity to literally warm your brain up with countless interactive activities bound to pique any of your niche neuroscience interests, including a one-of-a-kind art exhibit, a fun raffle prize giveaway, and a live human brain dissection. Seriously, can you think of a cooler way to spend your Friday night?

And if you’re factoring in your Friday night dinner in line with going to the event (and no one would blame you for being done with dining hall food at this point), Gray Matters has thought ahead for you—Llama Fusion, nearby Mexican cuisine, will be readily manning their food truck on Red Square with Mexican-style entrees, varying from $2-9, for everyone to enjoy. Vegetarian options will be served. 

As the Grey Matters team has prepared for this moment for months for the benefit of our university community, attending the event is a win-win situation: as you’re coming out to support one of UW’s most promising and inclusive clubs on campus with a bright future, it’s more than a promise to say that you’ll go home with something new. 

To learn more about An Evening with Neuroscience and the highlights of Grey Matters’ work in general, check out their website for all the essential details, including the official RSVP form, the full scoop on the participating panelists, and information how to access the event via hybrid format on YouTube. See you there!

Hailey Hummel

Washington '23

Hailey was the previous President of HCUW and graduated from the University of Washington in 2023 with a BA in Public Health-Global Health (with departmental honors), and a minor in Law, Societies, and Justice. She loves hiking, traveling, making art, playing piano, taking pictures, and spending time with her friends.