A Week In Italy: 7 Must-Visit Tourist Attractions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Over summer break a few years ago, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel to Italy with my family, and it was by far one of my favorite places I’ve been to. With its natural beauty, tourist attractions, rich history, art, and food, Italy is a country where one visit simply isn’t enough. If it’s your first time visiting, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite, top-rated tourist attractions I’ve visited in my travels to Italy, encompassing Rome, Florence, Venice, and Pisa. 

1. Vatican City | Rome, Italy

Vatican City is a city-state surrounded by Rome, Italy, and is the world’s smallest independent state. The Vatican is home to the Roman Catholic Church and some of the world’s finest art collections, garnering attention from tourists from all around the world. St. Peter’s Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, and the Vatican Palace are some must-see sights within the city and are decorated with art by the greatest artists of their time, such as Michelangelo and Raphael. My personal favorite was the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, which contains Michelangelo’s multi-paneled frescoes of the story of Genesis, and some of the greatest works in the Renaissance period. 

2. The Colosseum | Rome, Italy

The Colosseum is one of Rome’s most visited tourist attractions, and the largest amphitheater built by the Roman Empire under the emperor Vespasian. Its rich history brings in people from all over the world and is a great reminder of the ancient times and the Roman days of antiquity. You can’t miss it!

3. Trevi Fountain | Rome, Italy

Located on the backside of the Palazzo Poli building, the Trevi Fountain depicts the Nautical god Neptune along with his horses and tritons. The fountain is beautiful and illuminated by sunlight and the sculptures are intricately carved and detailed. Remember to toss a coin over your left shoulder, because legend has it that you’ll return to Rome again!

4. Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore | Florence, Italy

Completed by architect Filippo Brunelleschi in 1434, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore is regarded as one of the finest cathedrals in the world. With its iconic bell tower, marble, and handcrafted panels, it’s a classic depiction of Romanesque architecture. Be sure to visit the viewing platform at the top of the cathedral for an amazing view of the city and dome.

5. Uffizi and Accademia Galleries | Florence, Italy 

If you enjoy art museums and art history, be sure to visit the Uffizi and Accademia Galleries for a breathtaking collection of Italian Renaissance art. The Uffizi Gallery boasts the work of great Italian artists such as Botticelli, Giotto, Leonardo da Vinci, Raffaello, and Michelangelo, while the Accademia Gallery is a smaller, specialized collection of works and is home to Michelangelo’s David. 

6. St. Mark’s Square | Venice, Italy

The life of Venice revolves around St. Mark’s Square, a location for gathering, dining, performances, and religious life. St. Mark’s Basilica, Doge’s Palace, and the Campanile are must-visit attractions within the square, and be sure to book a tour if you want to avoid the lines!

7. Leaning Tower of Pisa | Pisa, Italy

Last but not least, be sure to visit the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa! The perfectly flawed design was predicted to topple over in 2000, but with maintenance and restoration, still remains today. Climbing to the top of the tower is a really fun experience and provides you with great views and photo ops!

Whether you’re planning a trip to Italy or your dream vacation, these attractions are absolute musts in your travel itinerary. While there are thousands of places, libraries, theaters, and gardens in Italy, remember to plan your days wisely to make the most of your trip. Happy travels! 

Sources:

https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions/italy-i.htm

Trushaa Ramanan

Washington '25

Trushaa is currently a sophomore at the University of Washington studying Informatics. She enjoys designing, listening to music, binge watching Netflix shows, and redecorating. She aspires to work as a UX designer and make technology more accessible and impactful for everyone.