This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Big cities like Seattle are usually a thrifter’s dream, with endless thrift, vintage, and consignment stores to choose from; however, most are 20+ minutes away by public transportation, making a quick trip to the thrift pretty difficult.

Thankfully, The University of Washington has 3 thrift stores right on the Ave! Less than a 10 minute walk from campus, these 3 shops can satisfy your thrifting needs. So, here is a quick guide to the Ave’s Crossroads, Goodwill, and Red Light Vintage.

CROSSROADS TRADING CO.

lug9u9gGroDETe7r h11f0G36hgLGQC12W95JcsW m2ZuQLEbqVvEq8vwj6yhGa oxeBTtk3nAisKbDxUCT6FPyrkPeAx2Y17Yz7sJ0NhqloHIfGTiSuf6R73 dnvmTZrVgc1raH WCLkyYhjuYy44

Crossroads is located lower on the Ave, on the corner of Campus Parkway and University Way NE. They buy and sell clothes and accessories, so they are essentially a consignment store. While the prices are a little higher than a location like Goodwill, Crossroads focuses on selling quality brands that are in good shape. I would argue that the items you find in there are sometimes less stylish and more focused on branding. On average, you could expect to spend about $20 on an item at Crossroads. Though Crossroads isn’t my personal favorite on the Ave, I have bought several really nice items of clothing from there. Most notably I bought a North Face puffer for $48, and it has been my go-to as the days get colder! I also got a vintage pair of Levi’s for about $20. Overall, Crossroads is a great option to find some good pieces for decent prices, but it may not always be the most college-budget friendly. I give it a 7/10!

GOODWILL

Yohyvojww8MNJ4CvG6oKFqkN6sYS4B45E4tPgxfNOBJB60vtR469VeB6sX25SQHSlP9kNAjK3UdfB R

Goodwill is located a bit further up the Ave, right off the corner of 47th and University Way NE. Similar to most Goodwills, they sell clothes, accessories, dishes, appliances, furniture, gadgets, and more. Though the store is mostly filled with clothes, you can find a variety of other second-hand items that you may need. In comparison to Crossroads, Goodwill is fairly cheaply priced. I would say you could expect to spend around $10 on an item in Goodwill. It is definitely less curated than Crossroads, as they take all donations, and most of them do end up on the retail floor. I’ve found a few amazing things at Goodwill, such as a Victoria Secret top for $8 and a DKNY baby tee for $10. Though you definitely have to do a bit more searching, for the price, the Ave’s Goodwill is definitely worth a trip! I rate it an 8/10!

RED LIGHT VINTAGE

Red Light Vintage is located right next to Goodwill, on the corner of 47th and University Way NE. They are a vintage consignment store, so they buy and sell vintage clothes and accessories. One thing I absolutely love about Red Light is that you truly never know what you’re going to find in there. They have a wide variety of items from the 1920s to the 2010s, and their tags are usually labeled to tell you what decade the item is from! For the kinds of items they have in Red Light, I would say it is very fairly priced. While there are some item that are $50+, it is usually because of the decade they are from or because of the item’s brand. Similar to Crossroads, you could expect to spend about $20 on an item at Red Light – but with that being said, you usually are getting more bang for your buck. I’ve bought a Y2K mesh top for $18 in there, as well as a fun 2000s Christmas long sleeve for only $7! All of the pieces in Red Light are extremely unique, and you can always go in expecting to come out with an awesome item! I give it a 9/10!

If you couldn’t tell by the numbers, in my opinion, Red Light Vintage is the best thrift store on the Ave! Though it is a vintage consignment store, their inventory is simply unbeatable, with amazing styles from all eras living on their racks. Overall, every thrift store on the Ave is a great option for casual shopping, and to pick up some new thrifted items!

Happy thrifting!

Abby Heinicke

Washington '27

Abby Heinicke is a freshman writer at the Her Campus at University of Washington chapter. She enjoys writing about fashion, thrifting, food, and sustainability. Outside of Her Campus, Abby is working as an Intramural Referee for the University of Washington. She also was the Editor-in-Chief for the online publication The OLu Muse. While writing for the Muse, she wrote about many topics, some of which included the environment, conservation, and high school stress. Abby also worked for Panera Bread as an associate. She is currently a freshman at the University of Washington majoring in Journalism and Public Interest. In her free time, Abby enjoys playing basketball, thrifting, trying out new coffee shops, and going to the beach when she is home in California. She loves rewatching 10 Things I Hate About You, and binging TV shows, Grey’s Anatomy as of late. She also has five cats at home - Peggy, Pepper, Natasha, Thor, and Bucky - all named after Marvel characters!