Life > Experiences

A Calendar of Celebrations This February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

January is arguably the worst month of the year. It feels like a never-ending Monday, with gloomy Seattle weather and homework from the classes I put off from Spring and Autumn quarters. But, February rolls around and brings the feelings of love spurring from the capitalistic greed that is Valentine’s Day. I’m not complaining – I love red and pink – but the month of February is much more than just one holiday.

As we transition into one of my favorite times of the year, the number of events offers an exciting twist to these dismal days. I’ve cultivated a list of somethings to look forward to this February.

Starting off strong with the Yule Ball, which is hosted every year by UW’s very own Harry Potter Club. It is conveniently slated for Friday, February 2nd, also known as Groundhog Day. Celebrate the most important holiday of the year by enjoying some themed snacks and dressing up in robes and fancy dresses. Pregame includes taking a Buzzfeed quiz on what Hogwarts house you belong in – I’m a Hufflepuff, apparently. Rainy Dawg Radio will be DJing, there’s a photobooth, and it’s free! Come one, come all to the HUB South Ballroom from 7:15PM until your feet get tired (or 10PM).

The 2024 Grammy Awards is next weekend on Sunday, February 4th! This is the best of the award shows because a) the Grammy’s only focus is on music and b) the host is Trevor Noah. He will hopefully not deliver controversial commentary and make me question every man in Hollywood, unlike Golden Globes host Jo Koy. Plus, SZA has the most nominations this year – another reason to watch. The event begins at 5PM PT, with the red carpet walk beginning a few hours prior. Host a Grammy-themed get-together with your friends on Sunday night to watch the show and procrastinate from your week 5 homework.

Lunar New Year is on Saturday, February 10th. But, on Saturday, February 24th, there will be a food walk, costume contest, and dragon dancing in the International District of Chinatown. If you can’t attend this annual event, many restaurants in Seattle will be celebrating the Year of the Dragon with discounted food and drinks.

The next day, Sunday, February 11th, is Super Bowl Sunday, where the Kansas City Chiefs will face off against my very own San Francisco 49ers. Grab your Tostitos scoops, salsa of choice, and some friends to watch the game at 3:30PM PT. If football is not your thing, Usher is the halftime performance and Taylor Swift’s Travis Kelce is playing – although in full honesty, I am not his biggest fan. This could be because I am obliged to the gorgeous defensive end Nick Bosa and the rest of the 49ers, and I will not shut up about how this team is the most conventionally attractive in the NFL until Super Bowl weekend.

Mardis Gras falls on Tuesday, February 13th this year. Dress in green, gold, and purple, wear masks, and cook up some gumbo or jambalaya to commemorate French history. This holiday always falls on a Tuesday – a school night – which means that going out til the wee hours might not be possible for everyone. Instead, try Trivia Tuesdays or local karaoke bars to celebrate! 

Everyone knows that Valentine’s Day falls on February 14th. This year, the gruesome holiday for us single people is on a Wednesday, which means you will probably be feeling the loneliness after watching Instagram stories for longer than you should. Last year, I crafted the perfect to-do’s with your friends in Seattle to enjoy the overwhelming friendship love in your life. From going out to eat in Capitol Hill or Fremont to staying home and watching 2000s rom-coms, you too can have the most wonderful Valentine’s Day. Treat yourself to a homework-free night or Doordash your favorite food to your front porch – you deserve all of the love in the world and you should give yourself such.

Lastly, it’s a Leap Year! I’m not quite sure what people do to celebrate that additional day on February 29th besides relax that the project due on March 1st has an extra night to be completed. I think that we should collectively decide to do something every four years for Leap Year. Maybe watch the 2010 movie “Leap Year” with Amy Adams?

Enjoy the bliss of February while we have it because before we know it, the quad will be bustling with tourists and finals will be upon us.

Maggie is a junior at the University of Washington from San Francisco, California. She is majoring in Public Health - Global Health, and doubling minoring in Data Science and Nutrition. Maggie is a tour guide for UW and the social media coordinator for the Food Pantry. She is super excited to continuing on this project as a writer for Her Campus this year, and be able to share her writing pieces with other like-minded women!