Fremont, Friends, and Flowers: Galentine’s in Seattle 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Ah, Seattle. The most romantic city in the United States.  

Said by no one, ever. Except maybe for Heath Ledger in 10 Things I Hate About You, but even then, we don’t know what happened after Kat Stratford performed her little poem for the class.  

Nonetheless, when you don’t have love in Seattle – like everyone else here – Valentine’s Day is the opportune moment to celebrate your gratitude for your friends. Instead of stressing this year about finding your Heath Ledger on Tinder to take you out on February 14th, grab your roommates, colleagues, or co-workers this Tuesday to explore the hidden gems of Seattle. Here’s a quick itinerary for some of the more notable destinations here in the Emerald City, accommodating for any budget.

1. Capitol Hill: Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year, which is the ideal opportunity to celebrate love….for tacos. Head to Poquito’s in Capitol Hill and enjoy some delicious burritos, guacamole, and other Mexican cuisine. I would recommend making a reservation now for February 14th, or whatever day you want to celebrate with your Valentine(s), because dinner spots book up quickly. Then, head to one of the many karaoke bars that Cap Hill has to offer or even Rhein Haus to play a quick round of bocce ball, sit by their fireplaces, and watch sports on their massive television screens.
  2. Fremont: Last year, my friends and I got all gussied up and ate pizza. Not just doordashing Domino’s to our house, but we went to Lupo, an Italian restaurant in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle. With candlelit seating and wonderful service, Lupo is an exceptional place to chat and enjoy some locally-sourced pizza. The perfect night out on the town in Fremont would include a quick tour or tasting class at Theo Chocolate at 4, a nice dinner at Lupo or another upscale restaurant, and potentially bar-hopping if you are of age. Finish off the evening with Midnight Cookie Co. to test the variety of cookies and sweets baked daily. A dessert-oriented Galentine’s.
  3. Ballard: With such a unique combination of breweries, parks, and brunch spots, Ballard is the most underrated district in Seattle. For sightseers (or wannabe Instagram influencers), the ideal day in Ballard would start out at Miro Tea, a French-American teahouse where you can try one of the 150 offered tea beverages. The upscale cafe even has various pastries and desserts to choose from. Then, make your way over toward the notable Ballard Locks, which is a complex device for raising and lowering the boats coming through Lake Union/Elliot Bay. If your group doesn’t get seasick easily, book a 2-hour reservation for the One-Way Locks Cruise to take in views of the urban skyline. Quick disclaimer – this adventure actually starts in South Lake Union and ends in Ballard.
  4. Queen Anne: My favorite meal of the day would be brunch, and I am a firm believer that Citizen Cafe in Queen Anne always does it best. Only open Friday-Sunday, the ideal morning with the girls would start off by watching the sunrise at Kerry Park, walking roughly a mile to Citizen cafe and trying their waffles, breakfast tacos, and omelets, and walking around Queen Anne to test the top-tier coffee and bookstores. The homes of this residential neighborhood are arguably the most beautiful and colorful, with the architecture having stemmed from the Colonial Revival style.  
  5. UDistrict: Picture this: you and your girls dress in your Saturday best, head to the University District Farmers Market (from 9AM-2PM) and pick up some beautiful, hand-cut flowers from a local distributor. Then, depending on your mode of transportation, you find your way to Portage Bay Cafe (Roosevelt) or Mr. West Cafe Bar in University Village. Egg dishes, pancakes, and fancy toast – perfect for a morning out with the girls, and on a college-age budget.
  6. Downtown Seattle: With so much constantly going on in the heart of Seattle, heading downtown for the day would be the optimal Galentine’s for the spontaneous friend group. Start at The Pink Door for the highly-recommended-on-TikTok pasta lunch. Although it would be a more costly meal, the extravagant price is apparently well-worth it. After lunch, stroll around Pike Place – a must-do whenever downtown. If you are still feeling like treating yourself, go for a ride on the Ferris Wheel or shop at Westlake for a little Galentine’s shopping spree. Maybe throw in some ice cream somewhere in there. 
  7. Wallingford: The transition between the chaos of UDistrict and the more residential Fremont and Ballard areas lies Wallingford. Home to the best veggie scramble, start your Galentine’s with Blue Star Cafe and Pub. And, buy a side of toast just to be able to try the best raspberry jam my friend Grace has allegedly ever had. Before exploring the serene Greenlake, purchase some coffee at Seattle Meowtropolitan and enjoy the feline companionship from the various in-house cats (unless you are like me, and you are allergic to cats). Grace also recommends the Rubber Chicken Museum, if the view of Greenlake is not enough for your posse.

Or, stay home: Set up a blanket fort, grab some snacks, and tap into your inner Seattleite by watching 10 Things I Hate About You or Sleepless in Seattle. Even Radio Rebel is based in Seattle and honestly worth a watch on Valentine’s Day. You can bake cookies with your friends, have a self-care night, and take a well-deserved break from the stress of college. Valentine’s Day is a Hallmark-sponsored capitalist scam that emphasizes your romantic love, but remember to treat yourself to the love you deserve, too. Sometimes the most loving thing you can do for yourself is recharge in the comfort of your own home.

Maggie is a junior at the University of Washington from San Francisco, California. She is majoring in Public Health - Global Health, and doubling minoring in Data Science and Nutrition. Maggie is a tour guide for UW and the social media coordinator for the Food Pantry. She is super excited to continuing on this project as a writer for Her Campus this year, and be able to share her writing pieces with other like-minded women!