roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Starbucks’ New Halloween Drink is Sweet & Spooky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Starbucks has successfully branded itself as the master of Mythical Creature Frappuccinos, starting out with the Unicorn Frappuccino in April earlier this year. Of course, the creative baristas couldn’t let their magical creations end there. After the Unicorn Frappuccino came the Mermaid Frappuccino, then the Dragon Frappuccino, and now (finally), the Zombie Frappuccino.

While there were mixed feelings about the Unicorn Frap, the Mermaid and Dragon Fraps seemed to gain mostly positive reviews. Now what about the Zombie Frap?

Fortunately, there aren’t any actual zombie bits in this holiday concoction. The Starbucks Zombie Frappuccino is a creme based frozen drink infused with green apple caramel powder, a side of red mocha drizzle and topped with pink whipped cream to finish off the ghoulish look of fresh brains. Total Halloween vibes. Baristas claim the whipped cream tastes like candy and the blended drink itself tastes like a burst of tart apple and caramel flavors—perfect for fall.

There have been mixed reviews circling the web since it launched October 26th. Some say it was a win while others are pretty unhappy with the results.

On October 27th, I went to buy one myself as the perfect pre-game before Freaknight. The neon green of the drink looks frightening when the barista first hands it to you and the “brains” look terrifingly realistic, but upon first sip, you realize it’s actually not that bad. I was immediately hit by a tart flavor followed by a sweet aftertaste of caramel. Personally, I was not a huge fan of the mixed flavors. I also got two friends to try it with me. One of them liked it while the other one had the same feelings as I did. Reviews are definitely mixed on this one. Although it wouldn’t make it to the top of my Starbucks order list, I definitely don’t regret trying it. Maybe next time I’ll pair it with their Mummy Cake Pop.

This drink is only available until October 31st while supplies last, so rise up from the dead and go get your Zombie Frappuccinos!