7 Things You Should Stop Doing to Have a Better Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

via Pinterest

Sometimes it’s really tempting to press the snooze button just one more time… after all, what’s eight minutes in the grand scheme of the universe? But before you know it, you’ve missed your first class, have to rush to get ready, and then you walk around campus completely unaware that the sweater you hastily shoved over your head is inside out. If your morning is crappy, then the rest of your day will be as well, so here are 7 things you should stop doing in order to have a peaceful, stress-free morning rather than scrambling to get out the door before your first class. 

1) Sleeping with makeup on. Even if you’re super tired the night before and all you want to do is hop into bed, take the two minutes to wipe your makeup off. In the morning, your makeup will be smeared, dried, and it’ll take much longer to scrape off. Not to mention the damage it’ll be doing to your pores over time. You’ll definitely thank yourself for taking off your foundation before you hit the bed. 

2) Scrolling through Facebook or Instagram. Social media, especially in the morning, is a black hole. We’ve all had this happen- you go on your feed expecting to spend thirty seconds, and somehow ten minutes have passed and you still haven’t even put your shoes on. Save the scrolling for a later time, when you don’t have to be prompt and early for your 9:30.

3) Staring at your closet for hours. Girls, this is a major problem. Staring at your closet for ages deciding what to wear is a classic part of almost every girls’ morning, but it doesn’t have to be. Take two minutes the previous evening and pick out what you’re going to wear to save yourself the decision-making agony at eight in the morning. 

4) Skipping breakfast. A cup of tea and a banana doesn’t count! Besides the obvious reason of nutrition, eating a healthy, balanced breakfast will actually help keep you awake. And if you don’t want to spend a few hours cooking up eggs, just eating a bowl of oatmeal along with that banana will do the trick. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and you owe it to yourself to feed yourself properly. 

5) Rolling out of bed right before class. Your body requires at least half an hour of time out of bed to start functioning like you are awake. So getting out of bed at 8:18 for an 8:30 just won’t work. While being able to get ready in less than five minutes seems like a valuable skill to have in college, your body will just be even more tired later as you push it to work very hard within a few moments of waking up. 

6) Taking a long, hot showerSure, this seems like a de-stressor, but taking a hot shower actually dries out your skin and makes you more tired, according to recent studies. So while you may feel nice and warm immediately afterwards, the chances of you falling asleep during your lecture increase a lot. Curb the showers to about ten minutes, and you’ll be fine. 

7) Hitting snooze about 17 times. Hit it once or even twice, but don’t keep hitting the snooze button until it gets to the point where you have to roll out of bed, jam shoes on, and sprint to class. The short term benefits aren’t worth the long-term pain when you show up to class unprepared and not looking your best. 

Mornings don’t have to be terrible! They can actually be quite relaxing and calming. All you have to do is give yourself time to wake up properly and get yourself ready to face the day!