7 Creepy Yet Thought-Provoking Episodes from the Twilight Zone that You Want to See for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, but don’t feel like getting dressed up and heading off to parties? Well, get a nice cozy blanket, grab a pumpkin spice latte and find a comfortable place with your computer. Here are 7 Twilight Zone episodes you must watch to get that sense of Halloween spirit. The supernatural awaits…

1. The Eye of the Beholder (1960)

Let’s start off with one of the best plot twists ever of the Twilight Zone. 

Miss Janet Tyler lives in a very dark world. Even after multiple surgeries, bandages cover up her entire face concealing all her fears. Her face needs special treatments before she can finally see the light—do you have enough courage to get a glimpse of what’s hidden underneath?

This episode doesn’t just leave you with an unforgettable image, but it also raises an everlasting question — how do we define beauty?

2. The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street (1960)

You thought monsters just hide under your bed? Or aliens invade from up in the sky? 

A flash of light, followed by a large blackout in a typical suburban neighborhood turns everything into turmoil. Can the neighborhood ever go back to the way it was? The scariest monsters may just be hidden within ourselves.

You never know how your neighborhood will react in times as these. It may be true that “the world is filled with Maple Streets.”

3. The Hitch Hiker (1960)

Another amazing plot twist — “I believe you are going my way.”

This episode reminds us of that feeling — the fear of someone gradually sneaking up on you, the strange gaze you feel on your back but when you look back, nobody is there. Is it the hitch hiker that is insane? Or is it Miss Nan Adams, a lady driving across the country to get to California all alone that is insane? You have to go and travel the Twilight Zone yourself to find out. 

4. It’s a Good Life (1961)

Don’t like what’s going on around you? Well, if you’re Anthony, you never have to worry about that. At Peaksville, Ohio, six year old Anthony Fremont is always at the center of attention. Whenever Anthony is there, everyone around him seems to be happy, smiling and complimenting him. Everybody loves Anthony. Or, to be exact, everybody HAS to love Anthony. Otherwise…

This six year old MONSTER is the last person you would want to mess with. 

5. Number 12 Looks Just Like You (1964)

Another episode putting a spooky twist on society’s obsession with womens’ physical apperance.

Just like getting a new hairdo, in this future society, everyone goes through a transformation to get the perfect body. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone looked exactly the same? 

Perhaps the scariest part is that the creator of the Twilight Zone, Rod Serling estimated that this would take place in the year 2000. Will this be the future of our society? Or is it already happening?

6. Living Doll (1963)

Here’s another spooky episode that will give you the creeps. How well did you treat your dolls when you were a little child? Well, Mr. Erich Streator sure did not. When his stepdaughter brought home a very expensive doll, Talking Tina, he did not like it a single bit. However, neither did Talking Tina. Talking Tina can do anything, and literally ANYTHING. 

I want to warn you, but I can’t say too much. She might be watching me. 

“Hi, my name is Talking Tina and I..”

7. After Hours (1960)

Ever thought mannequins were creepy? Well this episode would give you the chills when you next see one. 

Miss Marsha White was looking for a gold thimble at a department store but is escorted to the ninth floor on an express elevator. What was at the ninth floor? For sure, it was no ordinary floor. 

Who are we and what do we do? Just another question in another Twilight Zone

Have a spooky Halloween—and hope you can find your way back from the Twilight Zone

Nozomi is a junior studying at the UW as an exchange student from Japan. Loves to write, read and be creative.