This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

So, you’ve already added “Maniac” by Conan Gray and “Tongue Tied” by Grouplove to your latest playlist, and while those songs are great, you’re at a loss for what else to add. Fear not, because I have taken the time to compile a list of songs by underrated artists that will have you feeling like the main character you are in approximately 18 minutes.

1. “La La Land” by Pepto

This song has just under 170 thousand streams on Spotify, so it’s perfect for the quirkiest and most unique main characters. I’m sure this song will become a staple in your playlists, just as it has with mine.

2. “You Know It” by Colony House

Released in 2017, this upbeat song is perfect for the classic getting ready for school while running late montage that is quintessential to the introduction of every coming of age movie. If you listen to it, you’ll know exactly what I mean.

3. “Isabelle” by Zach Hood

This song was just released on February 5th and is the second original song released by Zach Hood. It definitely deserves more streams than it has, so give it a listen or two. I’ve found it’s best enjoyed while driving at night with the windows rolled down, but you do you.

4. “Sunbeam” by KIAN

This is my favorite song by KIAN, but all of them are excellent and he deserves more recognition. He currently has more than 520,000 monthly listeners on Spotify, and you’ll probably join that number. Spend a few minutes on his page and you’ll understand the hype I’m giving him.

5. “Cherry Cola” by Kuwada

Kuwada’s most popular song is constantly getting stuck in my head. It was released in 2018, but has remained in my playlists since then. I don’t get tired of this song, and I highly recommend giving it a few minutes of your time. It’s classic and timeless, just like the main characters in our favorite movies.

6. “Chicken” by Your Neighbors

Probably the most widely known song on this list, but nevertheless a staple for feeling like the main character. This has sliding across a wood floor in socks vibes, which I realize is oddly specific, but I promise you’ll comprehend that analogy if you listen to it.

Now that you’re feeling like a main character, go forth into the world of background characters and live the life you were born to live a little more confidently.

Lainey Merrill

Washington '24

Lainey is a freshman at the University of Washington, where she studies business. She enjoys music, baking, and drinking coffee.