This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Every feminist has had to put up with ridiculous comments or misconceptions about the movement or why they personally believe in it. Ladies, it’s 2017, and these misconceptions need to stop. Here are 6 ridiculous antifeminist arguments that need to go. 

1) “Why do you still need feminism? It’s 2017.” 

Sure, feminism has come a long way, but there’s still a ton of work to be done. The gender pay gap still exists, and it’s even worse for women of color. Less than 20% of Congress is made up of women, and one woman per week is killed in the United States due to domestic violence. Feminism has accomplished a lot, but we still have a LONG way to go. 

2) “You’re just a feminist because Beyoncé is.” 

Source: weheartit.com

Yeah, having one of the most badass women in the music industry back us up is definitely a big perk, but to suggest that people join the feminist movement because someone else supports it rather than because of the values and ideals it entails just trivializes the movement.

3) “The patriarchy doesn’t even exist anymore.” 

Uh, yes it does, and it’s thriving. Female CEOs make up just 29 of the Fortune 500 companies, and these highflying women are immediately judged based on whether or not they have children. Women still experience a shockingly high rate of domestic abuse and rape, and catcalling is still considered to be a “compliment.” And why are the men in power who have no idea being given free reign to determine what a woman should be able to do with her own unborn child and her own body? 

Source: Elle.com

4) “Oh, you’re a feminist? You must hate men.”

Feminists don’t hate men- the definition of feminism is fighting for equality for EVERYONE. And men can be feminists too; in fact, the more, the merrier. 

5) “Feminists are just too angry.” 

It all goes back to the arcane theory that the same hormones that allowed a woman to bear children made her hysterical and overemotional, and therefore unable to make clear decisions. The sad truth is that women are labeled bossy and irate when they voice their own opinions. True, women have plenty to be angry about within the realm of sexism and feminism, but that isn’t the only emotion we are capable or portraying. Society has played a large part in labeling the feminist angry and irrational, which limits the power of the movement, and we need to change this misconception. 

6) “I don’t need feminism. I already have equal rights.” 

Feminism does not focus on the individual. Feminism doesn’t belong to just one person, or just one generation, and people shouldn’t join the movement looking for any personal gain. Women in western, developed countries should feel privileged for the advances we have made in the realm of gender equality, but there are still leaps and bounds to go. Feminism is needed until every single women in every culture and relgion around the world experiences gender equality.